Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Prozac - extreme tiredness

(13 Posts)
blacklabroo Tue 01-Mar-16 13:08:27

Hello I'm on day 35 of taking this AD and feeling extremely tired, I can't do anything but sleep! Nodding off in the day is so unlike mesad. Do I need to switch ADs? Thanks

blacklabroo Tue 01-Mar-16 15:30:34

Can anyone help, pleasesad

willowcatkin111 Tue 01-Mar-16 23:36:37

I am on day 42 and still really tired. Not happened to me before on same meds though say may not be meds causing it. Worth talking to your doctor and seeing what they say.

blacklabroo Wed 02-Mar-16 16:27:09

Thanks willowcatkin, I think I'm going to have to go back as I nearly fell asleep today in a meeting. I take my ADs around 10pm in the evening, perhaps I should take earlier.

willowcatkin111 Thu 03-Mar-16 10:27:14

They normally recommend taking prozac in the morning as it can be 'alerting' - maybe this would help you if the tiredness comes on 12 hours after taking it? I take mine in the evening too as I get really bad headaches if I take it in the morning.

blacklabroo Fri 04-Mar-16 15:17:00

Thanks, will switch to morning and see if this 'exhaustion' disappears!

Hang in there!
I was exactly the same and all of a sudden it stopped, all I wanted to do was sleep, it's unfortunately a very common side effect but will subside smile
I nearly threw mine away several times in the first 6 weeks shock

RomiiRoo Sat 12-Mar-16 21:23:38

How are you doing with this?

I could not cope with the fatigue on Prozac; though hard to know if it was the depression or the ADs. Ended up off work as too exhausted but it turned out I was anaemic too. I have tapered off the Prozac and with the iron, feel like I am slowly regaining energy. But it felt horrible for quite a while.

blacklabroo Sun 13-Mar-16 21:47:35

Thanks both for your replies, I'm hanging in there! I started taking AD slightly earlier (8pm, was worried if I took AD in the morning it may affect me throughout the day, I feel spaced out on it and didn't want to get worse) and I've noticed I'm not feeling like a mid afternoon snooze anymore...however, I keep waking really, really early ( today I was wide awake at 4am and eventually dozed back at 530am) and I'm having such vivid dreams! I've had a dip today and mild anxiety too.

blacklabroo Sun 13-Mar-16 21:48:50

Are you taking iron tablets RomiiRoo

RomiiRoo Mon 14-Mar-16 10:09:07

Yes, finally - I was only diagnosed with anaemia about three weeks ago. I am taking 60mg a day now, and no flouxetine since two weeks (after tapering off). I am also taking B12, D3 and magnesium as well as a multivitamin, and also making the effort to go for a walk every day between 20 and 45 minutes, depending on energy levels (the latter was unthinkable before, it was an absolute struggle to do anything beyond what DC needed).

I too was waking at 4am, but I had insomnia before I took Prozac and ended up either needing to nap during the day or asleep at 8pm. This was impossible with a job and DC! Now sleeping from about 9.30 through to 6am, still feel tired, but can manage through a day more easily.

Without the ADs though, all my emotions are surfacing and it is draining working through them, it is a horrible place to be. I am trying to work through this, and also build up things I like to do - I need to see if that works or if I need to try another AD. I read it should take a month for the Prozac to be fully out of your system, and also that it can take a few weeks for iron levels to be restored, so that is what I am not doing anything just now about it.

Apologies for the long post, I hope it is somewhat helpful and that things settle for you

blacklabroo Mon 14-Mar-16 21:45:40

I appreciate you post, I hope the vitamins and iron supplements work for you. They too say that deficiencies can be a factor in mental health. My tiredness seems to have gone in the day now although I struggle to wake up, this morning I woke up shouting, so my dreams state is very interesting!

I hope things improve for you soon and you find something that works whether supplements or new AD. I really don't think people with mental health issues truly understand the battle we are going through.

blacklabroo Mon 14-Mar-16 21:46:19

Also working and with DC too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now