Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Pregnancy and taking antidepressants

(3 Posts)
Carlywarly16 Fri 26-Feb-16 21:12:45

I really need some help! I just don't know what to do!..confused I've been taking citalopram roughly about 5/6yrs, but I have recently found out I am 8 wks pregnant.I went to my gp an he told me to stop taking the tablets, I agreed it would be best however the come down after stopping has been the worst thing I have ever experienced :- dizziness, sickness,panic attacks, cold shivers and generally just feeling like crap!. I've been off them for 3wks and I did go back an see my gp an he tells me it could all be to do with early pregnancy minus the panick attacks that's just my anxiety an he reassured me everything is ok. But I've read a few posts online that going cold turkey is not good, I agree it's not! Surely the gp should have weaned me off them?! an all this stress and anxiety can't be good for the baby?!.. I'm stuck in limbo what to do, I mean I've lasted 3wks without the tablets surely it can only get better. Any advice would be much appreciated x

thebiscuitindustry Fri 26-Feb-16 21:34:48

You could see a different GP for a second opinion. Doctors are cautious about medicines in pregnancy but you wouldn't be the first pregnant woman to take antidepressants. The doctor has to weigh up the benefits and risks for each individual.

Carlywarly16 Fri 26-Feb-16 22:42:45

Thanks for your reply smile, yeh I was thinking of a second opinion. I have my first mid-wife appointment coming up soon so was thinking of talking to her aswel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now