Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

teen dd depression

(5 Posts)
mumslife Sun 21-Feb-16 19:21:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

futuremrsstinson Sun 21-Feb-16 23:08:05

Ive had depression on and off for several years now. I personally think the best thing you can do is support her and let her know you are there for her if she wants your support. Dont talk about it, dont treat her like a broken object. Just let her know you understand and your there for her whenever you need her to be.

You say she is at uni so she is at least 18- so she is an adult. Unfortunately, as hard as it is, shes just going to have to ride this emotional rollercoaster. Heartbreak is shit. Some people will say she is too young to be in love/her relationship wasnt long enough but, IMO, that is bullshit.

It is early days. When i broke up with my firdt boyfriend it took me a good two months before I felt I could breathe normally without feeling like I was losing grip on reality.

Is she going to all her classes and keeping herself busy? If not try and actively encourage her to do so. If its something she would enjoy- could you go and see her for a weekend and spoil her a bit?

NanaNina Mon 22-Feb-16 00:37:47

Hmm - doesn't sound good. Which year is she in at uni - was she ok before the split with the boyfriend. Some of the symptoms sound like depression. Can you visit her at uni so you can get better idea, and she might talk to you more about how she is feeling. Is she in halls or a shared house.?

The website YoungMinds is helpful

mumslife Mon 22-Feb-16 20:08:28

mumslife Mon 22-Feb-16 20:10:18

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now