Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is there a way to access intensive treatment for depression

(7 Posts)
Apathyisthenewblah Fri 19-Feb-16 20:34:21

Without it being residential.
I am suffering from another horrible depressive episode. I am full of anger, self hatred and my mind feels like a tangle of wire.

I really want to run away but dd, DH and work make that impossible and anyway I would not be able to outrun my own head.

I am in contact with the crisis team and they are visiting me tomorrow but I feel desperate tohave some intensive help to learn some coping mechanisms and tame my thoughts.

I am on sertraline and quetiapine and have been referred for CBT but it could take several more months.

I have dreams of staying in a place with access to therapy and someone wise and compassionate to talk to and someone to plan my food and make sure I take care of myself. It is near impossible at home with a toddler, demanding study, work, DH and step children all pulling at me.

Marchate Fri 19-Feb-16 22:46:12

Sadly, probably only if you can pay

Let us know how you are after the crisis team visits

MilleniumTalcum Mon 22-Feb-16 06:46:45

Voluntary admission waa all that helped for me during the worst of it. You pretty much have to be not - functioning or suicidal though for an NHS admission. Hope you're ok.

NanaNina Mon 22-Feb-16 14:33:43

So sorry you are suffering so much - same here but I'm retired and a GM and supportive DP. Something has to give for you - is dd old enough for nursery at least part of the week. You can't be doing demanding study and going to work while you are this bad. DH should take the step children out or keep them away from your place while you are feeling so bad. I know it's difficult to be assertive when depressed but you need to talk to DH and tell him how much you are struggling.

Yes there are places but as Marchate says, only if you can pay.
There are usually groups attached to MH hospitals but it doesn't sound like they would be right for you.

Could you buy some therapy - www.bacp.org.uk

Apathyisthenewblah Thu 25-Feb-16 14:13:20

Thanks everyone. I'm doing a little better, seen the crisis team and the psychiatrist who upped my quetiapine.
The amazing crisis team nurse is fighting for me to access some therapy. She has worked with us from the start and has been really good.
I still want to run away though!

Clare1971 Thu 25-Feb-16 16:13:10

Glad you have crisis team fighting for you. Is there anything else you could try that might at least give you a bit of relief while you're waiting for therapy? My friend who suffers badly from depression says that some days her yoga group is as good as therapy. I'm not suggesting yoga could replace therapy but a good mindfulness/meditation approach yoga session might offer you something to hang on to once a week. Only mentioning it since you talk about wanting some practical techniques and I find the breathing techniques and using mantras really really useful when I'm stressed or can't sleep.

IsItMeOr Thu 25-Feb-16 16:17:20

A bit on the same lines as what Clare says, I have found pilates and massage very helpful for moderating the physical symptoms of anxiety/depression.

Hope you get to try CBT soon. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now