Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

what will my GP do?

(10 Posts)
ChineseDragonLady Fri 19-Feb-16 13:33:13

If I go and tell them that I have been feeling suicidal this week and that I can't face going to work. Will they sign me off sick? Will they tell social services?

Marchate Fri 19-Feb-16 13:45:15

Highly unlikely they'll tell social services. Does something make you think that?

You will probably get a questionnaire to fill in to roughly indicate your level of depression. Then I would think a prescription for anti depressants, a sick note for a week or two, and a follow up appointment made

That's my guess!

ChineseDragonLady Fri 19-Feb-16 13:58:50

Thank you Marchate. Paranoia mostly. It'd be my worst nightmare.
I'm already on anti-depressants but they don't stop me feeling like this.

Marchate Fri 19-Feb-16 14:20:34

Maybe the GP will change your medication. Or refer you to a psychologist

Definitely go. It doesn't always work out as you would like it to, but it's better to seek help when you feel so down

Take care

NanaNina Fri 19-Feb-16 14:38:43

Suicidal thoughts are a symptom of depression and a GP will know this. They might ask if you've got a plan, but many of us have a plan but don't carry it out.

MoreGilmoreGirls Fri 19-Feb-16 14:40:52

They will reassess your ADs and maybe refer you to counselling. Sounds like you need someone to talk to. Please go flowers

ChineseDragonLady Fri 19-Feb-16 14:44:40

I don't have a plan. I do need somebody to talk to but i don't have anybody to talk to.

Marchate Fri 19-Feb-16 14:52:21

Tell your GP you need someone to talk to. She will be able to access a counsellor

ItchyArmpits Fri 19-Feb-16 14:54:30

If you've been on the ads less than 6 weeks then they may not be working yet.

The GP will listen to you, then probably offer you a few different ways forward. I know they were extremely kind to me when I was feeling similar. A change or increase in medicine is probably going to be possible, and where I live I was offered a few different psychological therapies.

No one ever suggested to me that SS get involved. However, if they could offer you support (I don't know your background circs) then that might be something you want to consider. I know of a couple of people who social services have really helped.

Finally, the doc may suggest to you that, if you feel at all able, it may help you to keep in the routine and social contact that work can give people. If you don't feel up to it, it's highly likely they will be sympathetic.

They may ask you to keep in touch - they wanted me to go in every couple of weeks until I felt better.

Hope this is helpful.

flowers

chinesedragonlady Fri 19-Feb-16 15:06:07

*If you've been on the ads less than 6 weeks then they may not be working yet.

The GP will listen to you, then probably offer you a few different ways forward. I know they were extremely kind to me when I was feeling similar. A change or increase in medicine is probably going to be possible, and where I live I was offered a few different psychological therapies.

I've been on them for six months, they worked at first.
I don't think ss would be helpful, I mean I've got a lovely, happy, family background with no reason to feel this way. I was told to use the free online cbt via the nhs website but it's not on there when I looked. I got offered in person cbt but couldn't do that, I found it too scary to contemplate.

Hope this is helpful.

Yes, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now