Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

sertraline and anxiety

(4 Posts)
Luckylady202012 Sun 14-Feb-16 19:13:00

Hi to all, I am new to mumsnet I have joined to get some advice or reassurrance re taking sertraline. I had a massive anxiety attack brought on by an incident at work 2 weeks ago. I went to the docs on the Friday who initially gave me zopiclone to sleep. I went back on the Tuesday saw a different doc and he gave me a further couple of doses. By Friday I was having 3-4 attacks a day so went back saw a different doc who prescribed sertraline. I started this straight away as I was desperate for some relief. Sat not to bad was a bit woosey headed and glad I wasn't in work but today I woke at 6 and managed to get back to sleep till 8 have had 3 panic attacks and the burning feeling all over my body is back. I am supposed to be in on earlies tommorrow and am now panicking wether to take my sertraline and when to take it so I can function tommorrow. Any advice would be welcome should I go back tommorrow I want to carryon taking the meds but until they kickin the anxiety/panic attacks as unmanagable. Many thanks 😞

IDontWantToLookLikeYou Mon 15-Feb-16 13:32:43

Hi Lucky, sorry to hear that you are unwell, I'm on my second week in taking setraline to aid my depression. I take mine at night time as prescribed by my GP, I was told it would take up to 3-4 weeks for the meds to kick in, what I wasn't expecting was the immediate wooziness. I'm not able to function until the afternoon, therefore thankful for being signed off from work. My advice would be to continue taking the setraline but also take some proper time off from work to look after you and allow your meds to settle down, or try and reduce your hours for the next few weeks perhaps?

EscobarsMule Mon 15-Feb-16 14:06:32

Take it and keep going. Talk to work about what's happening - especially since its related to an incident that happened there. They have a duty of care to make sure you are supported.
I would mind out with the sleeping tabs - as you have already seen, they don't fix anything long term and you can end up needing more and more of those.

Luckylady202012 Mon 15-Feb-16 14:56:24

Thanks guys I have already handed my notice in. Time for a change after many years there. I realise work is my trigger and I have to change things to ensure I keep my sanity. At the mo just functioning would be good. The wooziness is the worst side effect but touch wood only felt one attack today. Am off to the docs AGAIN to ask if there is anything to help with them when they happen they are lasting an hour just until these kick in. I have found dropping coffee has helped and that won't do me any harm eh ☺ Thanks for the support tonight will be the tell usually suffer a couple mid evening. Will ask the doc about taking them mid afternoon maybe that will help with the during the day woosiness and then evening attacks as been taking them at night......Thanks again x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now