Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Wonder drug stopped working

(6 Posts)
NanFlanders Wed 10-Feb-16 18:22:19

I've been on sertraline for about 10 years and it's really made me feel normal. Paroxetine and fluoxetine before that, but always crashed when I tried to come off meds. Anyway, about 2 months ago they stopped working and I was back to early morning waking and self-loathing. Doc upped my dose from 50ml to 100ml four and a half weeks ago. Got worse if anything, but at my 4 week review he advised giving it another 4 weeks to work. Has anyone had a good outcome with a drug after this length of time? Hoping for positive stories. Thanks.

Aquamarine70 Sat 20-Feb-16 13:00:55

I take 75mg of Sertraline. My psychiatrist added in 2.5 mg of Olanzapine. This has a boosting effect in the sertraline & is a mood stabilizer. It has been the best combination for me. I can't cope with 100 or 150mg of sertraline as I get too many side effects.

NanFlanders Sat 20-Feb-16 18:13:03

Hi Aquamarine. Thanks for that. The 100ml hasn't really done the trick - Though the side effects haven't been too bad. Coming off it on the next couple of months and then trying Venlafaxine.

Aquamarine70 Sun 21-Feb-16 11:41:29

I have heard some people get good results on Venlafaxine. Unfortunately for me it was one of the worst ones I tried. It's also hard to wean off from. I hope you find something that works for you.

NanFlanders Sun 21-Feb-16 15:08:01

Thanks - I am hearing mixed reports about venlafaxine too. Might give the 100ml one more week. Glad the olanzapine us doing the trick for you. Must admif i hadn't heard of thst one.

hefzi Sun 21-Feb-16 23:02:15

I found that sertraline would work for me for a while, and then I'd need a dose increase - then it would be fine for a while again, and then I'd need more again. It would usually take 3-4 months for me to see a really noticeable effect.

I switched off it when it seemed 200 wasn't working any more, and moved to venlafaxine: one thing I will warn you about it (though it's working for me at the moment grin) is that the side effects are very weird - I didn't have any to begin with, at 225 they were absolutely horrendous (only getting 3-4 hours sleep every third night) but at 300 they've settled down considerably.

For me, it's worth it, as without I would no doubt have succeeded in suicide, but they are a pain in the bum: now, I just have a very slow metabolism (a very rare side effect - most people lose weight on it), horrific night sweats, total exhaustion (if I go into work, for example, the next two days I will be sleeping solidly: strange for someone who's never been much of a sleeper!) and vision problems. Like I say, though, still preferable to have something that means I can broadly function, which I no longer could with citalopram, escitalopram, sertraline and fluoxetine.

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now