Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Does anyone drink alcohol when taking mirtazipine and quetiapine?

(18 Posts)
Ikeatears Sun 07-Feb-16 00:27:03

Just that really. I know I shouldn't and I'd weaned myself off quetiapine (reasonably low dose of 100mg for anxiety) but I'm having a tough few days and I've taken 50mg tonight alongside my 45mg of mirtazapine. I've had a couple of vodkas (I'm not drunk) but it now feels unwise. Will I be ill?

Ikeatears Sun 07-Feb-16 00:33:42

Anyone? Feeling quite alone with my thoughts tonight.

harvesterhorace12abc Sun 07-Feb-16 00:35:51

I took quetiapine for about 2 years, I was drinking at that time very heavily! Sure you will be just fine with a couple of drinks smile

craftyoldhen Sun 07-Feb-16 00:40:20

You'll probably just be a bit more sleepy than usual. Hope you're OK flowers

Ikeatears Sun 07-Feb-16 00:40:21

Thanks harvester. I think I when I was taking 100mg at my worst I drank alcohol but to be honest that whole period is a blur. I feel like I'm self destructing again though. I don't know why I said I only had a couple. I had more than a couple. I am drunk. sad

Ikeatears Sun 07-Feb-16 00:41:05

Thanks crafty. I don't think I amsad

Wolfiefan Sun 07-Feb-16 00:43:35

Are you alone? Are you in a safe place?

Ikeatears Sun 07-Feb-16 00:46:25

Dh is here. I am safe. I don't have any desire to do anything stupid (beyond what I've already done) I think I just wanted to feel a bit 'numb' tonight. Thank you.

Ikeatears Sun 07-Feb-16 00:49:01

I also took 4mg diazepam but that was about 6 hours ago. I've not taken any diazepam or quetiapine for weeks now. Until tonight. I'm hoping it will make my brain switch off for a while.

Wolfiefan Sun 07-Feb-16 00:49:44

Sometimes numb isn't a bad thing. Just for a little while. It gives your brain a break.
But you need a plan if this threatens to become a recurring pattern. Do you need more help with the anxiety?
And flowers

Ikeatears Sun 07-Feb-16 00:52:45

Yes, the anxiety is taking hold again and then it becomes a vicious circle because I get anxious about being anxious. I'm seeing my counsellor on Monday so I'll be honest with her. I'm so, so, so very tired of putting one foot in front of the other and waiting for 'me' to be back. I've been trying so hard and it's just getting harder, not easier like everyone said it would. Feeling very drowsy now.

Wolfiefan Sun 07-Feb-16 00:57:15

Hoping you nod off peacefully soon. I'm going to try to do the same!
Do be honest on Monday. You may need more help and support. That could be meds, counselling or strategies.
Wishing you good health. Anxiety sucks!
flowers
Feel free to let us know how you get on. It can feel like such a lonely slog. I know.
Night night OP.

harvesterhorace12abc Sun 07-Feb-16 00:58:22

Try and get some sleep sweetheart, if you haven't taken quietiapine for a while that should help flowers

Ikeatears Sun 07-Feb-16 01:00:46

Thanks, I'm going to try. I hate feeling like such a failuresad

Ikeatears Sun 07-Feb-16 10:03:57

I've remembered why I don't like quetiapine. Woken up slurry and as though I'm walking through mud. It does help the anxiety though and I slept all night. Oh I just don't know what the right thing to do is anymoresad

Wolfiefan Sun 07-Feb-16 12:41:08

You did the right thing. You managed to sleep all night and decided to be honest tomorrow and seek better help.
You are not a failure. You are ill. Big difference.
flowers

Ikeatears Sun 07-Feb-16 13:37:16

Thanks. Do counsellors even discuss medication? It's only my 3rd session. I was under the home treatment team before so I used to discuss it with them. My GP is useless and I don't try's him.

Ikeatears Sun 07-Feb-16 13:37:24

*trust

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now