Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Why do Social Services need to know about my daughter after husband self harmed

(9 Posts)
o0oSuzyWongo0o Sat 06-Feb-16 09:11:20

I'm really scared that Social Services are going to take my daughter away. My husband self harmed yesterday and ended up in A&E, but they kept asking about my 5 year old daughter; what school does she go to? who's her doctor? where is she now? - I refused to answer the last question and the nurse said we need to inform Social Services and about duty of care to make sure she is safe. I said I know she's safe and she doesn't know anything about what has gone on, I wouldn't put in her in that environment. But still I'm scared that they'll take her from school or something. I'm not mentally ill just my husband. Can anybody please put my mind at rest? xx

WhatTheActualFugg Sat 06-Feb-16 09:13:21

I know nothing of SS but I would imagine acting edgey will only fuel any suspicions. Hopefully someone better placed to answer will be along soon. flowers

Scootering Sat 06-Feb-16 09:16:47

They will be worried you left her on her own or that she has witnessed something.

They won't take her away but you really do need to cooperate with them. They just have her and your interests at heart. Not cooperating is not a good idea.

Sorry to hear things are tough. Xx

2snugglets Sat 06-Feb-16 09:19:00

Hi there, I am a social worker in children's and families team. In the local authority I work for this would be normal and good practise from hospital staff to check things out. I would expect they would do a check to see if your family/ daughter is known to children's services. If not they may log it but to me if you yourself presented well and there were no other concerns I would expect that they wouldn't take any action. Hope that helps.

milkysmum Sat 06-Feb-16 09:25:44

I work for a mental health team. It is absolutely standard practice that they ask about any under 18's at home- dates of birth, schools etc..
Unless there were any other cause for concern it is very unlikely this would then be passed to social services. It's not helpful to be secretive though and may make people think there is something to be worried about when there really isn't. Honestly everybody would be asked these questions, try not to worry smile

o0oSuzyWongo0o Sat 06-Feb-16 09:37:20

thank you all soooo much. I just got so scared and panicked (my niece had her baby taken from her not long back), I did say I removed her from the situation by taking her to school and asked my sister to pick her up afterwards, and that I know she is safe. She is a very happy child, and so loving, I hope if they contact the school they will be told the same thing and everything will be ok. Should I say anything to anybody or just wait to see if they get in touch?

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Sat 06-Feb-16 13:30:42

This is standard practice. When I presented at A&E they checked up on the children, it's a safeguarding thing. I just got a call from SS to check that I was ok, to let me know they had a referral, but they wouldn't be taking it any further.

o0oSuzyWongo0o Sat 06-Feb-16 13:37:42

Thanks, it's put my mind at rest a little. The last thing I need after having my husband put in a mental hospital is to go through losing my daughter too. xx

willowcatkin111 Sun 07-Feb-16 21:24:13

My children got put on a child protection plan because of my mental health but everyone was keen to ensure they stayed with dh who was seen as a stabilising influence. It was a horrible time but not communicating will only make anything worse as they will make assumptions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now