Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I keep pulling hair out

(3 Posts)
Patheticfallacy Thu 04-Feb-16 19:39:37

I was wondering if this was a problem. I don't pull hair out of my head but I pick at fine hairs on my face and upper lip (this is a new one) as well as knuckle hair. I sometimes bite hairs off the back of my hands and arms. I sometimes feel compelled to do it and can do it for ages. I wondered if it was actually a form of trichotillomania?

magpie17 Thu 04-Feb-16 19:45:31

I do this, eyelashes as well for me. It is trichotillomania, I've had it since childhood, I go through phases where I can control it a phases where I can't. I really hate it. The eyelashes are the worst as there are quite visible gaps sometimes. It's a compulsion and mine is worse when I'm tired or stressed - is it like that for you?

My dad also did it but I don't think it's genetic, I think maybe I saw him do it and copied. I've never pulled my head hair though.

Patheticfallacy Thu 04-Feb-16 19:49:13

Sorry to hear you have it too. I do it daily I think. Sometimes I don't know I'm doing it. I think it does get worse when I'm stressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now