Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Every time I get ill, I think I'm going to die.

(6 Posts)
WilLiAmHerschel Thu 04-Feb-16 18:39:54

I know how crazy and irrational that is but I can't stop feeling afraid. I never used to be like this, I think it has started since my dd was born. I know I've just got a cold thing that everyone in my family has had recently and I'm constipated which is causing me to feel sick. I keep getting thoughts that this could kill me and I'm actually close to tears right now. I've had a vomiting bug and a throat infection in the last year, as well as some bad allergic reactions to things and I've had the same fear. I've had mh issues in the past and used to take quietipiane and sertraline (stopped once I was pregnant) but I've never been like this. Could this be some form of anxiety?

holeinmyheart Sun 07-Feb-16 08:42:57

Absolutely, you are suffering from extreme anxiety. It is only going to get worse so you need to consult your GP ASAP.
If your negative thoughts are out of control and are impacting on your daily life then it is time to get meds.
Lots of hugs and X as you need them as it feels awful to be so anxious.

WilLiAmHerschel Sun 07-Feb-16 10:59:44

Thank you hole! I've been feeling better in that I'm still ill but not panicking about it. It comes and goes. I need to gather the courage to see my gp as we've moved house and I've not seen the new one yet. Thank you for replying xx

holeinmyheart Tue 09-Feb-16 09:18:02

There is lot you can try for anxiety. Firstly there is getting a lot of fresh air. Brisk walking at least half an hour a day. ( I know you won't feel like it so you need to force yourself ) lots of activities so that you haven't enough time to think negative thoughts,
Medication is vital and also try CBT and a Mindful course. Eating well and getting in to shape by seeing a nutritionist and personal trainer ( if you can afford one) Any sort of exercise that increases your heart rate produces natural endorphins, which is good.
A set of your fav songs which you can listen through head phones. Play them and dance, and sing along to them to lighten your mood.
Buy a Fitbit so that you do 10,000 steps a day.
Sleep. Don't go to bed until you are tired. Have a routine, warm drink etc, then listen to a dab radio to Radio four extra through ear phones. If you wake in the night, just listen to what's on through the headphones. Radio four extra is full of plays and stories. I have just listened to the Forsyth Saga. ( not all the way through as I fell asleep again) at least I am still in my bed rather than mooching around at three in the morning.
Best of luck as I have been there.

WilLiAmHerschel Tue 09-Feb-16 10:14:21

Thank you hole that's really nice of you to share all that advice. Now I think about it I have been finding excuses not to go out side when I used to go out everyday. I will start today making the effort to go for a walk. I love the idea of the radio too. smile

holeinmyheart Tue 09-Feb-16 10:56:14

william even though I don't know you I feel deep sympathy for you as you are in the '*Anxiety Club' so to speak. What you write has resonance for me.

We are going through a very hard patch ourselves at the moment but I am taking beta blockers so I don't feel too bad. They suffice for me if things are marginal. I have had years of being Ok and being off meds.
I also know that I am lucky, being well off etc.

However I am an anxious person. I have had to learn to let things go and recognise that I am anxious. I think acknowledging it as part of yourself helps. Then trying to avoid what makes you too anxious, also helps.

My present anxietys, stems from my extended family. DCs will always be your children and their concerns are your concerns.

I am anxious as I am anxious. My Father was emotionally abusive but that wouldn't necessarily have made me anxious. I think I come from a long line of anxious people. My Relatives, cousins and Mother were jumpy on both sides.
We have nervous breakdowns, suicides etc littering our family. We also have distinguished academics, doctors, lawyers, artists etc. So we are probably normal ( whatever that means)
Listening to the radio through ear phones is a god send for insomnia. I love plays and stories. chin up X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now