Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety over being off work due to anxiety

(10 Posts)
HowTheFuckDoIDoThis Wed 03-Feb-16 18:34:49

I am feeling massive amounts of anxiety thinking that work arent going to think anxiety is enough of a reason to take time off work.

It is a very bitchy environment and i know they will be slagging me off for being off, nevermind my reasons for it.

I was expecting my doctor to put me on the sick for a couple of weeks. She put me down for a month and then for review before seeing whether i should go back then or not.

Its not just anxiety. My anxiety has affected my chronic depression and also my eating, which affects my anorexia.

I dont think im in the wrong for taking time off, but i really feel like i am.

Tillysmum99 Wed 03-Feb-16 18:42:42

Hi How I didn't want to read and run, if the anxiety is having a bad affect on your health eg depression/anorexia it is important to take the time to get better. Mental illness is still an illness and should be treated as such and the fact your doctor has signed you off your employer should respect that. I have recently been in a similar situation and I think that anxiety makes you worry more about what others think anyway (well it did for me). Take the time to recover and build up your mental & physical health and please don't feel guilty about it flowers

Hassled Wed 03-Feb-16 18:46:08

It doesn't matter if they're slagging you off - they can't do any harm while you're not there to hear it. They can do what they want - it doesn't matter. They'll be bored of it soon enough, and by the time you're back they'll have moved on to bitching about someone else. Just take this time to concentrate on getting yourself better - GPs don't sign people off for a month easily, so it's clearly needed.

SirChenjin Wed 03-Feb-16 18:46:33

You're really not wrong for taking the time off - not at all. Severe anxiety is absolutely crippling and makes you really, really ill. Would it help to think about being off work because your anorexia has returned, or because of another condition it has exacerbated - rather than 'just' saying it's anxiety?

HowTheFuckDoIDoThis Wed 03-Feb-16 19:06:11

Thank you all. It doesnt help when ive got the nosiest woman at work messaging me trying to find out why im on the sick and telling me how much my colleague struggled due to me being off!

I really wish i could switch off from worrying about it. Hopefully i will be able to and focus on me

BeaufortBelle Wed 03-Feb-16 19:18:11

She shouldn't be messaging you from work if you are signed off sick. Can you change your mobile number and issue it only to those you trust. You don't have to tell colleagues anything only your line manager and it should be kept confidential by her. If it would help and you haven't handed it in yet, you could ask your GP to reissue the fit not to say non work related stress which might keep work concerns minimised.

Good luck. Sorry you aren't in too good a place. Have you been referred for counselling?

StealthPolarBear Wed 03-Feb-16 19:22:41

Your colleague should not be getting in touch for exactly this reason.
You are right to be off but it soundsike an awful place to work sad

HowTheFuckDoIDoThis Wed 03-Feb-16 19:34:12

Shes told me that my colleauge (who i work alongside) has not had cover for one part and has been in pain herself struggling through. Telling me its not fair how she hasnt been given proper cover etc. Ive responded saying "now i feel like shit for being off". Then she tells me its not my fault.
I havent told her why im off, and ive got no intention of doing so. However, confidentiality in that place is shit, and they will all know by the end of the week. I handed my sick note in this afternoon, so there is no chance of changing it.
It just states 'anxiety'.

I have been given the counselling number to refer myself so will do that in the morning.

BeaufortBelle Wed 03-Feb-16 19:46:30

Mnet has a word for people like your colleague - cbiscuitbiscuitt. Your off. lise the metaphoric door on it with a simple reply "thank you for letting me know. I'm not well enough to deal with work stuff at the moment. Please let everyone know I'm having some treatment to help me recover and will catch up with you all when I feel better". Love HowTheFuck. Xxxxx

BeaufortBelle Wed 03-Feb-16 19:47:51

You close the metaphoric door on it.

Snuggle down with Mnet for a few days and we'll cheer you up x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now