Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do I ask for a longer sick note

(9 Posts)
Talulaley Tue 02-Feb-16 01:04:31

I've been off with anxiety and depression since just before Christmas. At the same time I moved house and my new gp was quite rude when I went to ask for another sick note as I didn't feel I could work yet - she said, oh, so you just got depressed after moving to * ... Now in 2 weeks I will be going back again, as I still barely leave the house or speak to anyone and suffer with terrible panic attacks.

How do you ask for a sick note? Should I just say, can you sign me off for another month? How long do they normally sign you off for? I feel awful even asking for one. The gp didn't seem to care, didn't ask how I felt, how I was getting on with my ADs or anything.

Redglitter Tue 02-Feb-16 01:15:33

Just go back & explain to them. They might not give you as long as a month. I know when I was off my doctor gave me a couple of fortnight notes as she wanted to see me regularly

EllieJayJay Tue 02-Feb-16 01:18:13

Most surgeries have different doctors, you don't have to see your designated one

EllieJayJay Tue 02-Feb-16 01:18:32

Try a new one.

Talulaley Tue 02-Feb-16 01:21:43

There are four doctors, I've seen two, the first one didn't listen at all and got the dates in the sick note wrong, the second one was a cold hearted bitch sad I'll work my way through all of them ..

My gp where I lived before was lovely, so I've been spoilt.

EllieJayJay Tue 02-Feb-16 01:31:23

I've had the opposite moved from London where no doctor ever listened - to a lovely practise of seven lady doctors!

Just ask them why won't they - hopefully they can give you a reason you can disqualify

Talulaley Thu 04-Feb-16 08:50:45

It wasn't that she wouldn't write a sick note. She was just so sarcastic about it. Neither of the doctors I saw seemed remotely interested in why I was written off sick or how I'm coping. I'm really struggling at the moment and considering increasing my dose again, something I'd discussed with my previous gp, but I don't feel I could talk to the gp here about it, as she clearly wasn't interested and seemed to think I was asking for a sick note as I'm too lazy to work confused

I'm considering changing to another practice, but will try the other gps first.

Floralnomad Thu 04-Feb-16 08:55:20

You could try asking the receptionist if any of the Drs in the practice have a particular interest in MH issues and then book to see that GP .

Talulaley Thu 04-Feb-16 09:16:24

Thanks, I'll try that, although the receptionists aren't very friendly either confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now