Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

PIP - Benefit Fraud - "Active" life?

(16 Posts)
GraceKellysLeftArm Wed 27-Jan-16 15:40:25

hello experts

I'm applying for PIP due to mental health issues and it worries me that in the media we see cases of people accused (and convicted) of fraudulent claims e.g., "said she couldn't walk to the end of the road but was seen running half-marathon/skipping to the moon" etc.

I have my bad days, but not every day is bad. Am I supposed to live as a medical recluse rather than embrace life on the days I'm good?

It's a bit scary tbh.

Or is "that sort of thing" more aimed at those with physical ailments?

Today I've not been able to talk my DS to nursery because I couldn't face going out, tomorrow I might go for a 5 mile walk.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 27-Jan-16 15:46:25

Your form needs to reflect that, and mention both types of day. They will award based on most common. The people you see who are convicted of fraud have told the DWP that they can't walk at all, and then been off running or hand gliding or whatever.

Everyone used to be advised to fill in the form as if it was their worst day though, even from helpful charities and agencies. That probably caused a lot more people to commit fraud than otherwise would have. It changed a while back.

coffeeisnectar Wed 27-Jan-16 15:47:13

I have just reapplied for my PIP and just want to warn you that it's extremely difficult to get. You need 15 points for low rate care or mobility. In my case I can't dress the bottom half of me, need help getting in and out the bath, have to have help lifting things for cooking, limited walking ability and have PTSD, anxiety and depression which means I find going out difficult without support.

I only just scraped the 15 points and that was on appeal last time. I got it for a year and going through the whole process again. At the same time ESA want me to be seen so they continue paying my NI stamp.

Make sure you have support from any health care professionals you see, CPN, GP etc and be very precise about your bad days.

dontrunwithscissors Wed 27-Jan-16 17:48:30

Don't have time to say much, but I just got PIP for bipolar without any face to face assessment. I think the PP is wrong. You need 8 pts for standard daily care and 12 for enhanced. I got 17. Can try and add more about how I filled in the form later, if you want?

dontrunwithscissors Wed 27-Jan-16 17:50:33

I've just chxked my form--it is def 8 points for standard, 12 for enhanced. It means I also get free bus travel, which is worth £60 per month for me. I've read it's very dif to get mobility for MH conditions.

GraceKellysLeftArm Wed 27-Jan-16 18:13:34

Thank you for all your responses. Yes, I have a small army of health professionals chivvying me along. grin

Thank you dontrun, I would love some advice.

It just seems so odd to be asking for help when I'm sometimes OK. Although on saying that the last time I left my village was October and that was for a psychiatric appointment, not jollies. And I can't do the supermarket, I have to have someone bring me stuff.

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Fri 29-Jan-16 22:14:21

I'd love some advice too. I'm due to transfer to PIP from DLA soon and I'm crapping it.

dontrunwithscissors Sat 30-Jan-16 13:12:23

Sorry I've not been back--busy week. I will try to get on the laptop and cut/paste some stuff if the DDs give me a minute to myself

LovelyBath Sat 30-Jan-16 21:59:04

I got 28 points on PIP assessment, (care) mainly for mental health but some physical. Mainly for prompting with stuff. I have a physical condition which needs careful management and also have history of depression with psychotic features. I was totally honest with the assessor, said i went swimming, on the computer etc and it's all in my report. However it states throughout that I need support and it is evidenced by my support from MH team and supported by my medication etc. If you have the evidence it should be Ok, from what i found anyway. I also said mobility is fine and didn't claim that part, as it isn't relevant. HTH

LovelyBath Sat 30-Jan-16 21:59:58

The site Benefits and Work is helpful, has guides to fill in the forms.

LovelyBath Sat 30-Jan-16 22:01:37

My award was for three years, however they do start to hassle you a year before.

LimeJellybean Sat 30-Jan-16 22:37:45

I was transferred from DLA to PIP last year. I used to be on higher rate care and low mobility DLA and now I'm on enhanced care and standard mobility PIP, so the amounts are the same. I have mostly mental health needs plus some physical health issues as well. I got 26 points for daily living and 10 points for mobility. Like LovelyBath, I enclosed all my psych and therapy reports and assessments, which all helped.

I am not too concerned about being 'caught out' secretly enjoying myself. Mainly because it doesn't happen. I don't have to pretend I'm a medical recluse because I already am one. I've been outdoors three times this year, both times for specific medical appointments and with supervision.

I was awarded PIP for 9 years. My previous DLA awards had been for 5 years each.

LovelyBath Tue 02-Feb-16 09:10:52

If you are worried, just make it really clear in your form what you need help with and be specific. So for example you need encouragement with some thing, but your mobility is OK (if it is) just be really clear. Then if there is any query you can refer to what you have said.

GraceKellysLeftArm Tue 02-Feb-16 11:53:44

Yes, I will. It's just weird - I feel "strong" mentally and then I realise I've not left the house for days or I've made an excuse not to go somewhere. As far as mobility goes, technically I am mobile... yet due to crippling anxiety I can't use public transport.

All I can do is pop my forms in and see what happens.

LovelyBath Tue 02-Feb-16 13:56:14

There is a really good site to help with these forms, called Benefits and Work. there is a question about navigating an unfamiliar journey in the mobility section.

user1473617693 Sun 11-Sep-16 19:36:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now