Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

New antidepressant - Fluoxetine - best time to take?

(6 Posts)
noworriesmon40 Mon 25-Jan-16 11:30:46

Hello, after various talk therapies (am currently on CBT but I'm not sure its working) I've made the decision to go down the antidepressant option again. I tried previously and had a very bad episode but I dont think I can carry on with my dark episodes. My GP has prescribed Fluoxetine which is Prozac but I was wondering when is the best time to take this, I'm dreading this due to previous reaction but needs must before I do something stupid. Not healthy for me or my family. Thanks x

AmyC86 Mon 25-Jan-16 12:09:57

Usually taken at breakfast time.

HashTagYesYes Mon 25-Jan-16 12:12:09

I personally find it easier to take at night as I avoid the worse of the side effects, and it tends to make me tired. Other people tend to find it quite stimulating though - best thing to do is to see what works best for you

HashTagYesYes Mon 25-Jan-16 12:13:49

And you will prob get side effects for 2-3 weeks, but these do subside. I get I side effects at all now, but see an instant drop in my mood if I forget to take it. It has turned my life around - I would really try to stick with it if you can. Good luck! thanks

Bimblepops Mon 25-Jan-16 12:16:26

I would recommend taking it in the morning.

I spent a few months taking it before I went to bed and suffered horrible heartburn as a result. Apparently it's a common side effect if taken at night.

noworriesmon40 Mon 25-Jan-16 14:02:26

Thanks all, think I'll take it this evening and see what happens, worried about side effects😢, but will persevere. I need something to stop this sh@tty feeling. Do you take vitamin and mineral supplements and do you find it affects the antidepressant? I really appreciate your advice all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now