Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

So .....

(17 Posts)
SoThatHappened Sat 23-Jan-16 18:53:59

I haven't left the house in 5 days. This is getting a bit chronic!

originalmavis Sat 23-Jan-16 18:57:43

Why not?

SoThatHappened Sat 23-Jan-16 19:28:53

Depressed. cant face it.

originalmavis Sat 23-Jan-16 19:39:21

Don't you have to go anywhere?

SoThatHappened Sat 23-Jan-16 19:47:58

No. I got made redundant last year which is part of the relapse in depression. I guess staying in bed isnt helping though

originalmavis Sat 23-Jan-16 19:53:28

Ooh no, that'll knacker your back. You do need to get out though. Find little tasks for yourself. Trot off the the library to see of they have any courses running.

Hows the job hunting going?

Vedamakesthebesttoast Sat 23-Jan-16 19:56:51

Do be careful of your back like Mavis said! Do you have a garden? Even if the weather is shite and you can't be arsed getting dressed grabbing a coffee and sitting out for ten minutes for a low effort change of scenery might be nice as a stepping stone to a trip further afield.

SoThatHappened Sat 23-Jan-16 20:00:19

Oh god is that what has happened to my back?

I am tears with it sometimes. So painful.

Job hunting not going well at all. Trying to get temp work as a last resort and didnt even get that sad

Aridane Sat 23-Jan-16 20:03:57

Some part time voluntary work to get you out and about and give you some structure?

NanaNina Sat 23-Jan-16 20:31:30

Have you seen the GP and got meds. I have recurring depressive disorder and it's a real so of an illness. I totally get not wanting to go out or get out of bed. It takes me till mid-day to get up. On bad days I don't go anywhere and when I'm ok (which isn't very often) I can go out and about. Mind I've sat about so much that I have aches and pains in my hips and back. I'm 72 and this is my 7th year of enduring this illness. I've tried all sorts of ADs - none really work. It has changed my life SO much - I used to be out and about all the time with loads of energy.

Sorry you are having to be job hunting as it doesn't sound like you're up to it. Are you on JSA - if so it sounds like you need to be on ESA. Have you got any support in RL?

MiddleClassProblem Sat 23-Jan-16 20:38:35

I'm like this at times. It becomes overwhelming and then I can't find my hairbrush and then I can't find socks etc so I don't go but since then I have told myself it doesn't matter what your hair is like or even if your in your pjs if you are popping out for a pint of milk/can of coke/chocolate bar just a garage or corner shop. People do it all the time. If you tell yourself that it might make going out easier. Or walk to a post box and back, then you don't even have to talk to anyone. It makes going out the next day or dat after a smaller hurdle

SoThatHappened Sat 23-Jan-16 21:23:08

is ESA means tested?

NanaNina Sun 24-Jan-16 16:08:19

No not means tested but you usually have to go through the Work capability test, and they're meant to be more clued up about MH issues but I don't trust the DWP and this lousy government.

SoThatHappened Sun 24-Jan-16 20:18:08

I dont think I would make it through.

I walked to the end of the road and back and it felt weird today. Couldnt wait to get home.

MiddleClassProblem Sun 24-Jan-16 20:51:22

Well done though!

TheoriginalLEM Sun 24-Jan-16 20:59:21

that was a massive achievement. well done. It will feel abit odd. i find it difficult to go out without a reason myself so can fully empathise.

could you shop for food daily? That would be a concrete reason to walk to the shops and not too much pressure.

Also do go to the gp if you can face it.

SoThatHappened Sun 24-Jan-16 21:35:47

I have to go out tomorrow, I have an appointment. I do tend to be able to manage when I have to do something.

I send a relative to shop for me.

I do wonder if it is why I fucked up a job interview at the beginning of the month...a friend gave me some advice and remarked people can tell a mile off if you are down / depressed in a job interview. Oops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now