Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is it OCD?

(5 Posts)
Geoff2 Tue 19-Jan-16 16:14:49

My niece is in her early 20's. She's always been quite shy and lacking confidence. However, her condition has worsened in certain regards and my brother has told me it's been diagnosed as severe OCD. I'm not convinced and I'm concerned they are not getting a good diagnosis. I haven't seen my niece first-hand, so I'm just going on my brother's description of her behaviour. For several months now, she is awake every night until 5am. She is chanting number sequences. She cannot (for example) eat a plate of chips because she doesn't know in which order to eat them. She will call down from the top of the stairs and say she's stuck and doesn't know whether to move forward or back. She has even said "I can't open my mouth" through closed lips, when there is nothing physically wrong with her mouth. Can this really be simply OCD or should my brother seek a second opinion?

Marchate Tue 19-Jan-16 23:30:36

Why do you think that's not OCD? It sounds a likely diagnosis. What else do you think it can be?

yougotthelove Wed 20-Jan-16 14:33:29

Alot of this sounds like ocd, it takes many forms & not just the stereotypical 'check things many times'. Maybe post on an ocd forum like ocd action & see what they say

whatdoIget Wed 20-Jan-16 14:37:04

It sounds like OCD to me. Read up a bit on it and you'll recognise a lot of behaviours. It's not all about excessive cleaning and handwashing

ghnocci Wed 20-Jan-16 14:38:52

Why would you doubt a professional diagnosis, especially when you haven't even seen her yourself?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now