Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline - any positive experiences?

(20 Posts)
SirRaymondClench Thu 14-Jan-16 15:28:38

My GP put me on Sertraline 50mg a few weeks ago for anxiety. I had a few bought of diarrhoea to start with and then again a couple of weeks later. It also made me feel very tired and have a dry mouth.
I started on 100mg yesterday at GPs request as my anxiety is still bad and he said the tablets would be starting to work by now (4 weeks in)
This morning I had chronic diarrhoea so started googling to see if it would stop once my body got used to the tablets - queue me finding loads of horror stories about weight gain and persistent diarrhoea.
My libido has dried up too but I can deal with that I suppose but as a recovering anorexic I know I would struggle with the 30lbs weight gain that seem to be so common amongst the reviews I found online.
Can anyone please tell me if you use/d Sertraline did you gain weight or not and also if you had diarrhoea with it, did this stop in time?
I really need some positive stories (if there are any!) I need to crack my anxiety and will be looking into CBT too.

cleowasmycat Thu 14-Jan-16 15:34:13

I started on 50mg after changing from Citalopram so I don't really have side effects initially as I had them before. I didn't think they were any good until I went up to 100mg. I feel much more in control now and haven't put weight on.

RosalieDene Thu 14-Jan-16 15:34:31

I love sertraline! It's done what no other medication has done for me - stopped my anxiety! (or at least helped)

Yes to a bit of weight gain, but I'm on another medication that makes me eat massively, so not sure it's all the sertraline. Not had any diarrhoea, but any symptoms I've had have generally disappeared at the 4 week period, although they start up again if my dose is increased. I had: headaches, nausea, tiredness, all that jazz, but once I got used to it all that disappeared!

I think overall it's a brilliant drug - I'm convinced that without it I'd not be here today, it's totally changed my life!

MorrisZapp Thu 14-Jan-16 15:39:13

I've done really well on sertraline. I started on fifty, had a week of horror, then got very much better quite quickly.

After a relapse, I went up to a hundred. I was fine on that then after a bit I came back down to fifty. I've been on it for years and my anxiety is massively better.

Haven't gained weight although I can't cry any more which is odd smile

SirRaymondClench Thu 14-Jan-16 15:48:28

Thank you for your replies! This is just what I needed to hear to keep me going. Going to have to stock up on the Immodium though I think! blush

madmotherof2 Thu 14-Jan-16 15:50:31

Really good to read this, my doc prescribed me 50mg of Sertraline on Monday as I've been struggling with my anxiety, I haven't taken one yet as she wanted me to try and combat it without meds, but good to know that they are good!

Friendlystories Thu 14-Jan-16 16:00:52

Having had horrible side effects with other AD's sertraline was a revelation for me. No noticeable side effects, no weight gain and made a massive difference to my anxiety and general ability to function. What suits one person won't suit another though so my advice would be to persevere for at least 8 weeks (unless the diarrhoea is constant or worsening obviously) and then review with the Dr if you're still having problems.

PandaPop55 Thu 14-Jan-16 20:28:13

I have been on sertraline for 3 years on various doses up to 200. I had awful diarrhoea and sickness for first few weeks and again after each dose increase but it soon passed. I have not had any weight gain.

Palomb Thu 14-Jan-16 20:37:35

I took it for a couple of years for PTSD/post traumatic anxiety and it was like a magic bullet. It worked wonders within a couple of months smile I only stopped taking it because I found I couldn't focus on books but by then I had learned to deal with the anxiety and didn't need it any more. I was ferried about taking a he first one but I needn't have been. I found it easy to come off too. I took 50 mg.

sarah2011 Thu 14-Jan-16 20:41:17

It gave me my life back after ptsd. For the first week I felt totally out of it and couldn't eat then I felt normal and happy again and could deal with everything so much better. I dread to think what I would have ended up like if I hadn't took them. Really hope it works for you and you get a postitive experience. Is 100ml maybe to high?

Aquamarine70 Fri 15-Jan-16 13:01:35

Sertraline has been the best AD for me with the least side effects. I have been on it for 21 years & no weight gain. The upset stomach usually resolves after a week or so. It can increase if you up the dose but only temporarily. You could speak to a pharmacist & ask as they are good at advising with medication better than Drs. You may be able to take Imodium for a short time.

GingerNutRiskIt Fri 15-Jan-16 20:59:31

I've been put on Sertraline. I've had anxiety and spiralled down into depression. I was too proud to admit I needed help and didn't really realise how bad I was until I hit what I describe as my rock bottom. I've been on them 3 weeks almost and I'm just starting to feel a little more in control again. I'm definitely nowhere near ok yet, but I do feel like I've started to turn a corner. I'm on 50mg, and the first week I was shaking really badly and nauseous but those side effects have almost all gone. I take mine at night before bed, and find I'm a bit shaky and nauseous still in the mornings, but it's gone by midday. My anxiety is still bad. But I've definitely noticed a slight change for the better already.

cymrukernow Tue 19-Jan-16 22:18:53

I started on it a couple of months ago, so early days.diagnosis was severe anxiety and depression. I had a couple of hellish weeks to start, very slowly things started to get better. Emotions seem to be under control. I am about to start CBT as I want to balance the ad's with some therapy.

smileyforest Tue 19-Jan-16 22:46:28

I lasted a week, I just could not stand feeling 10 times worse!

CorleoneGang Wed 20-Jan-16 19:19:20

For me, Sertraline is an absolute wonder drug.

I started out in Citalopram for anxiety but it made me constantly tired.

Switched to Sertraline 50mg, had diarreah for a week and could barely stand food but that soon passed. Bumped up to 100mg and it changed my life, I had never felt as positive before, life was GOOD.

Now I'm not taking anything at the moment, but if and when my anxiety returns I want Sertraline.

It's bloody fantastic. That being said, some people get on well with Citalopram where I couldn't. Just depends on each person

CorleoneGang Wed 20-Jan-16 19:20:24

And I didn't gain weight on Sertraline either, if anything I probably lost a little

BelfastSmile Wed 20-Jan-16 19:24:02

I've got on well with Sertraline (100mg) for years now, but I did find it made me jittery for a couple of days at first, and again when the dose increased from 50 to 100. I haven't had any weight gain with it. I'd say if you can hold out for another week or so and see whether the diarrhoea eases up then you'll have a better idea.

madmotherof2 Fri 22-Jan-16 16:17:57

What time would you take Sertraline?

Mypubesarestraight Fri 22-Jan-16 16:22:34

I'm on 50g of sertraline and I take propranolol too.
I have been on these for 8 days and I wish they would hurry up and kick in.

I'm signed off work with depression and anxiety.

madmotherof2 Sat 23-Jan-16 17:36:50

Took my first dose today, had a headache most of the afternoon ( but I'm prone to them any way, so far so good!

How long before others side effects kicked in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now