Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

OH psychiatrist

(6 Posts)
vxa2 Thu 14-Jan-16 12:47:06

Can anyone share their experience of seeing an OH psychiatrist. I have had an episode of severe anxiety which started about a year ago. I had five weeks off work in April/May but nothing since. I continue to be anxious but I am much better than I was. Most of the time I can cope but sometimes something will prompt a crisis and I can't control my anxiety. I was referred to OH when the episode started and they have been ok mostly because I have been seeing a psych and therapist privately.

I fell out with my last psych so I requested an NHS referral and I am due to have my first appt next week. The thing is that yesterday I had a call from OH saying they were happy to close my file. Then a few minutes later they called back and said they want to get a psych report and then for me to see an OH Dr. Initially I said I didn't want to see another psych and they said if I consented they could just get a report from the one I am seeing next week. I haven't consented yet but now I am thinking I would rather see someone they refer me to and keep my relationship with my new psych separate. I don't even know whether I will like her and I think I would be reluctant to share everything with her if she was going to write a report for my employer.

Do you think I will be seen as being uncooperative if I say I want to see someone they refer me to ?

vxa2 Thu 14-Jan-16 21:56:04

Anyone had any contact with OH at all ??

NanaNina Fri 15-Jan-16 01:34:26

Sorry but I'm confused by your post - are you seeing a psych on a private basis? Why would the OH psych want a report from another psych? Sounds like you have a new psych as you say you don't know if you'll like her. Is this another private psych. I think you need to be straight with the psych - sorry I don't really understand what you're asking.

vxa2 Fri 15-Jan-16 07:07:25

Sorry. What I'm saying is whether to consent to my new NHS psych writing a report for my employer or to see a different psych for the report. One to whom I would be referred by occupational health. So I have my own psych for ongoing care and another as a one off purely to write the report. Work are not suggesting they arrange care they just want a report so that their backs are covered in the way they are treating me at work.

vxa2 Fri 15-Jan-16 07:09:13

Oh and the OH dr they want me to see is not a psych. They want me to see him to go through the psych report- whoever writes it. It it confusing I know.

dontrunwithscissors Fri 15-Jan-16 13:32:19

My pdoc wrote a letter on the request of OH. It was fine. Quite short and factual. I've always found the OH doc at my work (he's a GP) very good and supportive. My work was awful to me when I was diagnosed with bipolar, but OH always fought my corner and were quite direct about what work should and shouldn't be doing. Work wanted to see if they could medically retire me---OH told them they were being ridiculous.

In your case, I don't think it makes much diffenrce, although I would prefer to have someone write the letter that I knew would be reasonable/supportive. My NHS pdoc wrote to work twice and was happy to do so. However, it took her months to write each letter and I suspect my CMHT is better resourced than many.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now