Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone else getting the January Blues?

(13 Posts)
BelfastSmile Mon 11-Jan-16 19:14:51

I've been feeling really flat and tired today. I'm on medication for depression, which usually keeps me on an even keel, but this is one of those times where I just seem to have slumped down. I'm slightly panicky, and can't be bothered to do anything. Quite often happens in early-mid January.

Thought I'd start a thread for anyone else who's feeling the same.

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Mon 11-Jan-16 20:53:10

Me.

I am considering going to the doctor sad

I normally have pretty robust mental health. But in the last week I've had panic attacks, nightmares, feeling teary the whole time. The worst bit is I seem to be unable to shake it around the kids - I keep looking at them and almost breaking down because I can't believe what a cruel world I have brought them into.

I have not felt this way for 20 years.

BelfastSmile Mon 11-Jan-16 20:59:40

That's awful, Libraries. You're right to go to the GP. I'm lying here snuggled up with DS, which is helping, but I just don't have any energy at all.

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Mon 11-Jan-16 21:05:15

I am dreading even trying to get the appointment. The long wrangling of when I can do it and ending up with an appointment in early Feb....

Sorry. This is probably a bit more extreme than you intended. It's totally hit me out of the blue.

Snuggles are good for January blues normally I find.smile

BelfastSmile Mon 11-Jan-16 21:06:57

Yes, it's a pain when you manage to muster up the energy to make an appointment, only to discover that the first option is 3 weeks away.

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Mon 11-Jan-16 21:13:30

Yes. I'll have to say it's an emergency. Which means taking anything they throw at me . But it is not as if you can leave the kids standing around at school pick up.

BelfastSmile Mon 11-Jan-16 21:14:58

Can you get someone else to pick the kids up, or send them to friends' houses?

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Mon 11-Jan-16 21:23:35

Not really at the sort of short notice I'd need. And DH is away the rest of the week. Grrrr. It shouldn't be this hard.

Sorry. Don't want to be all me, me, me. How are you doing?

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Tue 12-Jan-16 14:17:46

Sigh. Screwed up my courage and called up asking for a same day appointment. Turned up and they claim it was tomorrow (it wasn't. Whole conversation was about same day). Now have to find the energy to go back tomorrow.

BelfastSmile Wed 13-Jan-16 21:24:12

Ugh, Libraries, that sucks. Did you go back today?

I'm feeling a bit more on top of things today.

timelytess Wed 13-Jan-16 21:26:48

I don't like to repeat myself but www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eio9DAlq19M

sparkle789 Wed 13-Jan-16 21:28:28

I'm struggling atm. I do every January. I don't know why I tend to start picking up mid-feb. I'm feeling so unmotivated, can't stop eating and generally blah. My ad's normally keep me fairly steady the rest of the time.

BelfastSmile Mon 18-Jan-16 12:36:15

How's everyone today? I feel better than I did a week ago. Still a bit wobbly, but more positive. Wish it was mid-February, though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now