Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Giving up psychotherapy?

(5 Posts)
TheCokeMachine Sat 09-Jan-16 20:42:07

I've had six months of psychotherapy, my therapist is nice but I don't feel we're getting anywhere. At first it was good, we worked through some issues, and I liked the fact that she didn't work off a script. No boring mood diaries, just a kind of conscious stream of thought thing.

Usually I go to see her at her office in Harley Street (not a stealth boast but it's freaking expensive) but occasionally I have to Skype her.

This week I had to Skype due to childcare constraints. It was rubbish, I talked, she offered nothing aside from I should get less angry and DH shouldn't get angry with me?

We just seem to go over the same old shit, this week she asked me if DH is still smoking cannabis? My DH doesn't smoke cannabis! I've never said that?

I'm feeling slightly peed off that I'm paying for someone who can't remember what we've talked about.

I have OCD (alongside Bipolar I) and I'm flipping out that someone who I'm paying to see someone who can't get basic facts right. Facts are very important to me.

My OCD trips me up, people get facts wrong but I NEVER do. Saying my DH smokes cannabis? It's not just a little slip is it, that's like we've spent six months and she hasn't got the facts?

Should I pull her up on it or just terminate our agreement politely?

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Sat 09-Jan-16 22:46:32

If I was forking out a lot of money for therapy, at the very least I'd expect her to get her facts straight as it's unprofessional at the very least.

If it's not working out for you, there's nothing wrong in looking elsewhere. I had counselling from a few providers before I finally found one that I clicked with and really made progress with.

RandomMess Sat 09-Jan-16 22:52:14

If you want to end it then that is fine, however you will probably gain an awful lots telling her you want to end it and why. May bring up a few things that will be helpful to work through?

Sort of say that you only want to do 3 more sessions because you don't feel it's helping and you are very annoyed that she clearly hadn't mentally prepared herself with the facts of who you were. The work through the outcome of what that stirs up.

I know "endings" is quite a significant part of psychotherapy, completely get your reasons for wanting to find someone else though!

stumblymonkey Sun 10-Jan-16 08:31:24

I also have bipolar and have had my fair share of therapy....none of my therapists have ever gotten anything wrong like that and I would be very peeved of they did.

At the end of the day you're paying for a service and if you don't feel like you're getting what you need from it you can and should look elsewhere.

Perhaps it's time to try a different type of therapy? Personally I've always found 'integrative' therapists the best....basically it just means that they use whatever therapy tools will work best for that particular issue and part of the session...sometimes it will be more like psychotherapy where they let you explore an issue, sometimes it will be more practical like CBT.

TheCokeMachine Sun 10-Jan-16 11:31:19

Thanks all, it's not the first time she's asked that question, she also asked if he was still drinking heavily. Neither of which he does. It was like she was assuming I was a different client and getting things mixed up.

Like most people I've had tons of therapists, the worst one was paid for by my insurance and he called me by the wrong name for 24 sessions. I started calling him the wrong name in the end.

I guess I'm questioning the validity of it all. When I'm well I have good insight and when I'm ill I have none. I'm well at the moment.

I think I'll see her next week and politely terminate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now