Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

health anxiety/hypercondria

(13 Posts)
jeanswithatwist Sat 09-Jan-16 16:55:23

i have had mild mh issues all my life but have made a good life for myself although they are always there and rear their head from time to time but have got alot worse since i have been going through peri/menopause (i am 51). Just wondered if anyone else suffers from health anxiety syndrome? it's a bloody nightmare and not as funny as alot of 'normal' people think. tbh i hate living with myself but i just can't turn it off. i don't go looking for things to worry about, they just appear. the only way i can cancel the fear if by paying to see ie a private consultant ie mamo, sking check etc, but then say 6 months later, i will notice another lump or another mole and the terror will beging all over again. it is draining and making me deeply unhappy.

hefzi Sat 09-Jan-16 22:44:25

Have you tried CBT, jeans? I was reading something earlier about health anxiety, and it said that this is one of the most helpful means to address it - apparently, it's a form of OCD. It focuses on helping you to change your thoughts about something, and from the sounds of it, you're what they term "catastrophising" - basically, always thinking the worst, despite eg the GP telling you that you're OK etc I used to do the same thing, not over health but with people - so if my boss walked past me without saying hello, I would get in a real state thinking it was because he thought I was crap at my job, and obviously, he was going to sack me etc etc CBT taught me to recognise these thoughts, and then sift the evidence etc - so it could be that he thinks I'm crap: but yesterday, he said hello, and we went for a drink last week, so perhaps it's more likely he was pre-occupied and didn't notice me?

I found these intrusive thoughts totally exhausting, and it sounds like that's the same for you: if you can afford to, have a look online and find your self a CBT therapist - otherwise, you can refer yourself to the NHS by going to IAPT online and filling in the form, though the waiting list is often a couple of months long.

Good Luck flowers!

jeanswithatwist Sun 10-Jan-16 00:02:14

thank you hefzi, that is certainly something i will think about. i have suffered with (mild) ocd off and on since i was very young (9/12ish) so am predisposed to that sort of thought process. it has followed me my whole life although it hasn't stopped me carving out a damn good life. i am lucky, apart from this thing following me looking over my shoulder. much appreciated as i don't think i would have thought of that

KikiTheFrog Sun 10-Jan-16 18:48:53

I used to have real problems with health anxiety, now its just anxiety in general which has taken over but have you had a look at the no more panic website? There is a huge health anxiety forum and they offer loads of support. It certainly got me through a lot of dark times in the past.

jeanswithatwist Sun 10-Jan-16 19:07:46

thanks kiki. i have found the no more panic site already thanks. i have realised through something i read on the internet yesterday, that health anxiety is considered to be an ocd thing which makes so much sense but i have never given it thought before. i have come across cbt therapists near where i live as well as a support group locally which has really lifted my spirits. dh is also really supportive, i have never hid my mh issues from him. it is good to not feel so isolated and embarassed by suffering from something that only gets joked about (being a hypocondriac)

KikiTheFrog Sun 10-Jan-16 19:13:28

Health anxiety is no joke and I hate it when people make fun of it. It really isn't funny. The no more panic site is fab for this and the people are never judgemental.

I'm so pleased you have the support of your hubby. It makes all the difference and that there is a support group as well. I hope you can find some comfort. Good luck.

PitilessYank Sun 10-Jan-16 19:20:45

My sister has it, thankfully, she has a very supportive wife. Sometimes she calls me for reassurance or advice when she has symptoms, but sometimes I end up making her more anxious. I am working on that.

Optimum007 Sun 10-Jan-16 19:32:03

Yes, I have this. None of us are going to get out of this alive. Haha. Sorry not much help!

Optimum007 Sun 10-Jan-16 19:33:08

It isn't a laughing matter. I seem to be worse on the winter months and GP reckons I suffer from SAD too.

jeanswithatwist Sun 10-Jan-16 20:57:04

opt what is sad? my ha has got worse since i turned 50 (i am 51) especially as i am going through the meno', hormones galore. i try and avoid the gps. i went for a year barely going the other year, was so proud of myself but had a bad year last year. i always imagine when sitting in the chair that there is some kind of secret wording on their screen that indicates ie if you are a severe worrier. i found that my last few visits i actually openly admit that i suffer anxiety and am a health worrier, they seem understanding enough. last gp visit wanted to put me on some kind of hrt thing although i said no (for various reasons).

maybebabybee Sun 10-Jan-16 21:04:35

I have this too, just wanted to offer sympathy. Also hate it when people laugh at it, its so not funny when you have to live it every day.

KwickNC Sun 10-Jan-16 21:11:11

I suffer with health anxiety and I'm a medical student it's literally the worst idea I've ever had! ive been so convinced I had a brain tumour I planned my funeral and didn't leave my house for 18 weeks despite my siblings and parents all saying I didn't have one (they're all doctors)

I try and hide it and people tend to think I'm just the way I am because I'm 'anorexic' but i think anxiety is a lot harder to deal with than any issues I have with food/weight etc I really do feel for anyone who suffers with HA.

jeanswithatwist Sun 10-Jan-16 21:29:52

i am really pleased i have created this post. It really has made me mentally feel alot better the last day smile. the last day i have collected lots of info which has helped. i felt so isolated and that i really didn't know how i was going to keep living like this. it comes in waves, today has been a good day. kwick blimey, so many relatives that are drs, i would be driving them mad grin. my fil is a dr although of physics/maths so not quite the right type..... if you qualify as a dr, can you not self diagnose ie you will immediately know if a mole looks malignant or not? so would it not be better for you to be able to know immediately if you had something or not? I remember watching House (tv drama). loved it but it opened up a whole new world of different health fears grin (not really but there were some terrible conditions on it, dh thought they were made up but i am sure i read they were all real...?). i have suffered what i consider to be mild anxiety all my life ie history of panic attacks from a very young ago for no reason (happy childhood pretty much). I also suffered weight issues and ocd phases. dh and i both think i have a brain that isn't perfectly formed or just a bad balance of serotonin. no deep and meaningful reasons, it just 'is' so i have always accepted it although sometimes very hard to live with. as i have got old i fear alot of things ie nuclear wars, flying. All my fears point to one thing, i have a severe fear of death which at 50, is getting closer.........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now