Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone done Holosync? Can anyone recommend a similar free online meditation?

(5 Posts)
loooopo Tue 05-Jan-16 10:30:22

Never done meditation before - stumbled on this today www.centerpointe.com/v2/

Has anyone done similar - does it work?

madmotherof2 Tue 05-Jan-16 11:00:52

I haven't but I'm watching this thread with interest!

dangermouseisace Wed 06-Jan-16 23:10:35

I'm highly dubious. I've been studying psychology (masters) and so have studied a fair bit of neuroscience. There is an element of truth in that some studies have shown that people are calmer etc and can 'train' their brain to be in a theta state. The dubious part is the claims of holosync- that people with like you, you'll be more successful, the linking of left/right brain (that bit is absolute tosh). The soundtrack etc might help you feel more relaxed but then so might many other things. Mindfulness meditation is free, and has been shown to help with stress etc. My friend swears by the headspace app…you can get the app free for 10 days and sign up afterwards if you like it. I read this book instead www.amazon.co.uk/The-Miracle-Of-Mindfulness-Meditation/dp/1846041066 and found it very useful and easy to understand.

loooopo Thu 07-Jan-16 10:03:02

Thank you Dangermouse ... that is very insightful - I suppose that we should always be dubious of extreme claims as if they were so simple and evidenced based the NHS etc would be doing this already...what is the difference between mindfulness and meditation?

Snog Sat 09-Jan-16 06:58:07

Try the Insight Timer app, it's completely free, lots of different styles of meditation to try smile
Headspace is about £50 a year after the first ten sessions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now