Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Help I know it's not me it's my mum she's depressed

(3 Posts)
Waudy1 Fri 25-Dec-15 23:34:06

So over the past 6 months my mum has been seeming a little down she acts strange and seems to be very disorientated and not here, she seems depressed(she has had many problems in her life health problems like thyroid and goul stones) can anyone give me advice on what to do and perhaps even first hand accounts I don't know what to do.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sat 26-Dec-15 09:03:27

. I am the one in our household who is off the rails... but of late my other half has been suffering. I understand I can't say anything to change her mood. It is very difficult to watch someone you love being so wretched.

One thing that helped me when I fell appart was that it is probably no surprise I was in a mess. It was pointed out very gently that my career had taken a nose dive and I would never get any further. The next generation were getting promotion. I was getting older and unable to do things I used to do. I still had a long way to go before proper retirement. WhenI looked at circumstances.... I could see a lot of small bits that were leading to my situation. I have tried the same aproach with my wife. She has a load of similar issues at the moment.

Helping someone to understand how they have got to where they are is useful tool. It doesn't take away the depression, but it is a small step.

Good luck and keep posting.

gamerchick Sat 26-Dec-15 09:16:40

your mother really should see her GP OP, she could be depressed yes but she also could be poorly. Could you get her to go or give her surgery a ring yourself and see if they can call her in for a once over?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now