Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Happy Saternalia everyone

(5 Posts)
ProfessorPreciseaBug Mon 21-Dec-15 08:15:37

Today is St Lucys day... the shortest day of the year.

Summer is on her way ... and our winter depression will soon come to an end...

hefzi Mon 21-Dec-15 11:18:58

OOh, yes - I'd forgotten it's the shortest day: thanks for the reminder - at least now it's all downhill! For some reason, though, I always find February and March the hardest - so long since Christmas, too long to Easter, and never-ending bad weather (at least, where I am)

Who was St Lucy, and what is she patron saint of? (I realise I could Google, but too lazy atm!)

ProfessorPreciseaBug Mon 21-Dec-15 23:27:04

Well that is now over...
Tomorrow the day will be longer... but due to the funnies of the orbit... the sunrise will be later whilst the sunset wll be even later...

Seemingly the central axis of Stonehenge is lined up with sunset on the winter solstice which is also the opposite to sunrise on Mid summers day...

CloakAndJagger Mon 21-Dec-15 23:32:26

Yay. Always good to know things will start getting lighter again. I do hate the dark and miserable winter and the continual rain has been particularly grinding this year.

NigellasGuest Tue 22-Dec-15 16:40:50

same here, hefzi - I hate Jan, Feb and March and I long for the clocks to change again at the end of March.
I haven't googled but doesn't Lucy mean "light"? (from the Italian, Lucia)?
Take vitamin D, everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now