Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone 2 talk 2

(8 Posts)
scaredmum2be Sun 20-Dec-15 20:29:09

Hi everyone,
I've been having some trouble recently mostly revolving around my sleep. This all started two weeks ago when for four nights I had severe trouble sleeping with the worst night I only got three hours sleep. By the last night of no sleep my head was in a fog like state and I didn't feel able to function normally at all. I have no reason for not sleeping those nights I just could not fall asleep and felt very restless. It doesn't help that at the moment I wake up anywhere between 3-6 times a night needing the toilet because of pregnancy. Before these few days of not sleeping I was a great sleeper nine times out of ten I would switch off after five minutes and even if I woke during the night I would fall asleep again easily. I could sleep 12 hours a night and still nap during the day. Ever since those few nights I have been so paranoid I won't fall asleep it is causing real anxiety. Even though I have been sleeping every time I get into bed I feel like I won't sleep and get really anxious and I can not stop it. For example last night I fell asleep on the sofa from 8-10pm and then went to bed and woke at 12, 3 and 6 but the time at 3 I struggled to nod off and now I fear I will struggle again tonight because of it. I have also been having anxiety about my legs (sounds strange but I will explain) everytime I sit down I feel like I have to move them but I can actually keep them still so I know it is not restless legs. I just get so paranoid and feel like I should move them. For example if I make a normal little movement of my legs I feel worried I have this irrational fear that I should be able to keep 100 per cent still when sitting. This only happens at home and when trying to sleep. If i am typing etc I don't notice it but the moment I try to watch tv/sleep it gets to me. It doesn't happen sitting down at work etc and I can actually keep my legs still. Its made me fear being indoors. I hate being indoors now. I do everything to stay out as long as possible and actually want to be at work now which I never did before. I am dreading the xmas break this year and trying to fill all my time.
I don't have any hobbies, I find video games boring, drawing, reading etc. I am officially bored of life! and just feel a sadness all day long. I don't enjoy anything anymore. what do i do?

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sun 20-Dec-15 22:17:47

OK... I am not pregnant (and will never be!) so this might not be a possible solution.... but I find good old fashioned antihistamine for hay fever that makes you drowsey is a very good sedative to help me sleep every now and then... As it is not a sleeping pill and it is not addictive It might just tip you over into sleep.

Check the information about taking when you are pregnant before you try!!

Otherwise when you wake up... try writing down what is on your mind. You could always post it here... never know it might make a book?

WyrdByrd Sun 20-Dec-15 22:30:59

Bless you - sleepless nights and the fear of them is seriously crap.

I think antihistamines are not advised when pregnant (seem to remember that all I could take was Piriton syrup - normally have prescription only ones).

Have you tried the usual stuff - camomile tea, warm bath with some lavender oil, listening to relaxing music (audio book or something on BBC radio iplayer also worth a try)?

If twitchy legs are an issue - eat a banana in the evening, they contain high levels of potassium which is good for that.

A friend of mine recommended this self hypnosis link for insomnia when I was having a really bad patch a while back - it made a huge difference, and hopefully once you break the cycle your sleep patterns will return to normal.

Needtobebetter Sun 20-Dec-15 22:44:51

OP, if this didn't cause concern before you were pregnant then it's definitely a pregnancy thing. It does all sorts to your mind, have a word with your midwife and she'll have seen it all before and be able to point you in the right direction for help. See your GP if you can't see your midwife for a while, and please don't worry. The chances are it will all settle down once the baby is here and the hormones have subsided.

scaredmum2be Mon 21-Dec-15 03:57:31

Thanks everyone, having a bad night tonight, slept from 9-10:15 and 11:15-1:30 and 2-2:45 but now can't drop of and have to be up at 6:30 for work. Just lying in bed crying, so tired but can't nod off.
I've tried everything bananas, milk, tonic water, no phones etc before bed, baths, music, radio, podcasts etc. nothing is helping. I'm seriously depressed and I can't cope with this anymore. I'm allowed some anti histamines but they don't help either- I've tried two kinds. I have another 13 week until due date and I don't know how I'll survive. I can't even watch TV because of my damn stupid legs.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Mon 21-Dec-15 08:27:31

Scaredmum...
You are a woman.... you have a strength that no man can hope to match.
That's not suggesting it is easy, but that you can do this...

scaredmum2be Tue 22-Dec-15 18:43:46

I'm not sure I can :'(
Tingling feet this evening. Feel sick. Vomited earlier. Can't sit down and watch TV because of this tingling. Can't relax. Don't see the point to anything anymore. Had enough I'm not strong enough for this.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Tue 22-Dec-15 23:30:45

I have just done a very quick search on tingling legs in pregnancy...

There is a lot of info about it on the web.. seems that at your baby grows it can trap the nerves that lead to your legs... plus a few other possibilities...

Have a look... it may help.. oh and good luck..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now