Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Off work with stress again

(8 Posts)
FreakinScaryCaaw Sun 20-Dec-15 11:19:57

I've had to ring in sick again today, did so for Friday too.

My heart was pounding through the night and i didn't sleep. Felt like I was dying this morning with all sorts of symptoms. Same on Friday.

Work has changed and the added responsibility for no more pay has made it really difficult. I work in a challenging environment to start with. Management and seniors seem to do less and less.

I'm not the only one who's off sick with stress. Some others have left because of the way the place is run.

I really need another job but am scared they won't take me on because of sickness?

I think I'll need a sick note seen as I've had 2 days off? I'll see the Gp tomorrow.

It makes me feel so useless sad But I just couldn't go in as my job needs me to be focused.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sun 20-Dec-15 13:08:07

What do you do?

FreakinScaryCaaw Sun 20-Dec-15 13:29:24

Work with challenging behaviour.

Millie2013 Sun 20-Dec-15 17:22:30

This was me a year ago and I had to walk away in the end, my health was far more important than my job. I'm not back at work yet, so can't say if it's affected my chances of getting another job, but I just had to risk it
Please look after yourself flowers

hefzi Sun 20-Dec-15 18:27:21

You can self-certify for the first week, so do that.

Your next job is likely to ask on your application how many sick days you've had - but the most important thing is to change your circumstances, I think: if your job is making you ill, and there is nothing about it that can change, you need to look elsewhere. Have you spoken to the higher-ups and voiced your concerns? Also, do you have an Occupational Health person? If so, arrange to see them. Make sure you put all your requests etc in writing, so you've got a formal record, and that might also encourage them to work towards helping you.

If you haven't been to the GP, though, I recommend going: they will be able to help you, whether that's something to reduce the panic symptons (I take propranolol) or other meds to help - and they can also refer you for counselling, which might well help. You can self-refer by googling IAPT and your area, but counselling on the NHS has a long waiting list usually (6 months in my area) so if you could afford to pay (and many counsellors have sliding scales) it would be worth looking into.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sun 20-Dec-15 22:08:24

Working with challenging bahaviour and youare suffering stress related illness.

Not good..

You are no use to your clients when you break down into a crumpled heap. I know it might sound callous but you have to look after your health first. If that means taking a break... it is better for you.

Keep posting..

slugseatlettuce Sun 20-Dec-15 22:16:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FreakinScaryCaaw Sun 20-Dec-15 23:13:11

Thanks everyone.

I don't break down in a crumpled heap, I can handle the behaviours. I'm good at my job. It's management and the changes they've made that are affecting me. Plus affecting others.

I'll see my Gp and go into work this week.

I'm a pretty assertive person and staff come to me for advice. I think it's frustration and anger that's really bothering me.

I'm nearing the menopause too and I know it's a factor.

Sorry to hear about your situation Millie flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now