Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

When should you tell a new bf/gf that you have mental health issues?

(5 Posts)
Sunsoo Fri 18-Dec-15 13:36:35

Just that really...

I have been with my new bf for five weeks now and everything is going great. I really see a future for the two of us.

My only thing is that I haven't told him I'm taking anti-depressants for a GAD. I have been on the pills for about two years and have had great success from their results. I don't want to stop taking them yet, even though I am much better than I was when I started them.

I'm just not sure how to approach the issue... Does anyone have any experience to share?

Sameshitdiffname Fri 18-Dec-15 13:45:44

I told my ex that I suffer from anorexia almost as soon as we went on our 5th date but I didn't really have a choice and he said he knew anyway he said he would be there for me!

There's no time limit its whenever you feel comfortable and can trust them. Don't feel pressured into telling him, just explain to him you're on medication to help with depression and say they're really working if he's worth it he will be supportive.

Masterpiece1 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:44:47

Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, how did he know?

Sameshitdiffname Mon 21-Dec-15 16:46:52

I'm 5'11 and at the time was 5st2lb it was also apparently gossip in my college.. Sad people

ProfessorPreciseaBug Mon 21-Dec-15 19:30:10

You shouldn't tell them...

Having been through the meat grinder I understand no one could have said
i was depressed without getting both barrels and a lot more...

My wife knew for ages I was heading down but she stood beside me waiting for me to come to the realisation myself... And she held my hand as
i began the long road to recovery.

You might be able to ask them if they have considered it... but be careful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now