Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

not showering or changing clothes

(3 Posts)
smileyforest Tue 15-Dec-15 22:27:47

My son who is mentally ill, undiagnosed under CAHMS, is refusing to wash and change clothes, sleeps in them . Been like this for about 6 weeks, I find it distressing ....Can anyone explain or any experience of this? Son is lashing out tonight as his Dad is negotiating that he must shower....I fear he may be sectioned tonight ...as exH dialled 111. upsetting and frightened where he may end up....

hefzi Wed 16-Dec-15 11:42:40

I haven't been like this for six weeks straight, but this it is very common not to be able to wash/dress/keep up hygiene etc with many MH issues, especially if they are untreated.

If he's a danger to himself or others (you mentioned he's lashing out) he can potentially be sectioned - and though it's frightening for you, it might be the best thing for him, if he's not engaging with treatment etc

I'm sorry you're in the difficult position of having to support someone who's ill like this - have you thought of giving MIND a call? They have some brilliant people who might be able to give you more advice flowers

smileyforest Wed 16-Dec-15 20:13:11

Thankyou Hefzi

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now