Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I find the tyranny of housework just so stressful and depressing.

(4 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Fri 11-Dec-15 08:34:28

I have lots of mental health issues(chronic long term depression and anxiety). I found working as a teacher just added to this, as it is a very tough job, so I reduced to 3 days.

But now I seem to have become responsible for all housework/washing/shopping etc. DH works full time. But I find that all I ever seem to do on my days off is house stuff, and if I don't do it it doesn't get done. It's starting to overwhelm me, and I'm finding it as stressful as work. I'm constantly running to keep up

Tate15 Fri 11-Dec-15 21:33:13

You have two options.

1. Buy a wooden sign that says, 'A tidy house is a waste of s life!'

Or

2. Have a read here

elizaellis.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/home-organizer-30-day-routine-housework.html?m=1

You are not alone. I actually have more time but finder it harder as I can put off until tomorrow all the time than when I had less time and had to get things done!

throwingpebbles Fri 11-Dec-15 21:34:30

Could you get a cleaner? I find it is the best money I spend as I like a clean tidy house but easily feel overwhelmed and my mood drops when faced with endless housework

timelytess Fri 11-Dec-15 21:47:02

I taught for 21 years. I'm eighteen months into early retirement, much better from the depression and anxiety but by no means fixed, and whilst the house is no longer in chaos, at this pace it will be another three years before its decent.

I'm hoping that as things improve the pace will speed up. Thing is, I have no interest in housework and never have had. I'll have to learn.

So OP, you aren't alone. I'd suggest, if you're working, you get a cleaner before things get out of hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now