Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Antidepressants

(4 Posts)
Flurple Wed 09-Dec-15 21:55:47

I have to go to the doctor and ask to go on antidepressants. When I was diagnosed I opted not to have them, but I just want to feel normal again.
I'm scared of taking them can anyone tell me of their experiences? I want to know if I will change? Will I get my energy back? Or will I just be robotic and not really know?
I know they can help and it's stupid not to have them but I don't want to take them and change who I am.
Does anyone know of any herbal remedies beside St. John's wort? I've heard bad things about that too.

Wolfiefan Wed 09-Dec-15 22:00:40

You are taking a brave step!
I took them. Citalopram. They were the leg up I needed to face the CBT and do what I needed to do to get well.
I felt very spaced out to start with and struggled a bit until I got the dosage right. But then I felt shit anyway! They were not an instant cure but I do not think I would have recovered without them.
Good luck.
And remember don't suddenly stop them.

Towelonthedoor Wed 09-Dec-15 22:03:41

This can only be a positive step. It takes around two weeks to feel a little bit more your old self. Each week you may feel a tiny bit better. Well done for being open to other ideas to feeling better. Best of luck

TheoriginalLEM Wed 09-Dec-15 22:10:50

Been on ADs for many years, they keep me sane - literally smile Can be a bit shit to start with, side effects of nausea, feeling manic and panicky and generally spaced out - horrible, but it DOES go, and most people find that within a week, sometimes two, it has settled down and they start to feel better. It isn't a sudden "yay i feel better now" its more, just being able to cope. When i was on a really high dose, DP said i was like a zombie, but if im really honest i think that ws because i was so unwell. I can't say i notice any side effects now, apart from some very odd dreams.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now