Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Ways to clear your mind

(5 Posts)
Goingtobeawesome Tue 08-Dec-15 14:59:52

I'm sorry to be annoying to post and run but I'll lose my nerve if I don't write it now.

I'm struggling with two issues at the moment. One is to do with DH and while we haven't worked out how we will deal with it and/or resolve it, we are talking about it.

The other thing isn't anything I can tell anyone but it is on my mind all the time. It's causing me emotional upset and has been long going. I'm wondering if there is some kind of mindfulness where you can retrain your brain to stop thinking about things. I know it sounds utterly ridiculous. Just stop thinking about it! Is the obvious response but it hurts and I'm used to that but it needs to stop.

I have had depression in the past and I can feel it trying to get a grip again too.

Tate15 Tue 08-Dec-15 16:53:59

I recommend this book

www.amazon.co.uk/Women-Who-Think-Much/dp/0749924810

Goingtobeawesome Tue 08-Dec-15 19:17:24

Thank you Tate15. I will look into ordering it.

Seeyounearertime Tue 08-Dec-15 19:28:47

Without details its difficult but in times of stress and painful experiences what I have found is:
Give your mind time to think issues through. There's a reason your mind will repeat things over and over, its to become okay with it, to deal with it.
Once you feel youve given the issue enough 'dealing' time then slowly move onto what I call 'replacement' thinking. Basically, every time the thoughts of the issue entered my head I'd think, 'nope, not today thank you' and replace the negative with something to be grateful for so I'd think, 'I'm glad its sunny today, I'm grateful I have money in my pockets and sun on my face' or anything that's pleasant.

As an example, take a painful experience from my past, losing a child.
First I allowed myself time to grieve, then allowed my mind time to 'deal' with it. Then every time my mind slipped into thinking about it,
"No thank you, not today. Right now I'm sat in the warm and I'm neither hungry or in pain, I'm better off than millions of people and for that I should be happy. Tomorrow I have enough food to keep me and my family fed. Lofe is good'

This works for me and my relatively minorish problems. I've no idea if it would work for anyone else, it might, it might not.
Either way flowers OP.
Good luck to you.

Goingtobeawesome Tue 08-Dec-15 20:19:23

Seen our, thank you. That all sounds so obvious I'm embarrassed I've not tried. It has been an on going problem for many years, off and on, and when it comes back it is the same each time. I do the same things and wonder why I get the same results. I want it resolved and can't work out why I can't resolve it. Thank you very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now