Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

psychodynamic therapy

(5 Posts)
GeraldineFangedVagine Tue 08-Dec-15 13:31:34

I am halfway through a course of psychodynamic therapy and also take mirtazapine for extreme anxiety. I wonder if it is changing the way I think or whether I do it because I feel I should. I wondered if anyone else has tried this psychotherapy and how they felt afterwards.

NanaNina Tue 08-Dec-15 14:18:31

This "brand" of therapy was of no use to me at all. In fact it made me a whole lot worse. I had relapsed with depression and anxiety and decided to try therapy rather than drugs (BIG mistake) I didn't like the therapist and she was desperate to find some trauma in my past when there wasn't anything to find!

In the end and after paying a lot of money I gave it up as I was getting no better (went x 2 per week for 3 months) and shortly after I ended up in hospital as my depression was severe.

I think IF you do have some trauma from the past it might be useful but otherwise I don't think it's helpful but it's horses for courses

GeraldineFangedVagine Tue 08-Dec-15 14:44:07

NanaNina, thanks for your reply. This is NHS therapy and I actually really like the psychologist who I'm seeing. I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I come away from the sessions feeling 'squick' but I'm compelled to go the following week. I feel anxious about things I didn't before. I'm not sure how it progresses. I've no experience of any other type of therapy so I don't really know what to expect.

GeraldineFangedVagine Tue 08-Dec-15 20:09:32

GeraldineFangedVagine Thu 10-Dec-15 19:47:46

Final friendly bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now