Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

still not bonded with daughter

(4 Posts)
fairyfairygirl Sun 06-Dec-15 08:33:50

My daughter is now over four years old and I still don't feel bonded with her, I'm trying hard to not let it affect our relationship but I fear that signs are showing. Has anybody else suffered from this?

HannahHobbins Sun 06-Dec-15 08:52:14

Yes I did, my daughter was about three and a half when I felt the fug lift but I hadn't quite realised that it was there in the first place IFSWIM.
I now know it was post natal depression but didn't know then obv or I would have tried to do something about it.
I just did my best and made sure it didn't show to her and although she is not a huggy kind of teenager now, we are close and open if not completely emotionally bonded if that makes sense.
It was harder when I had a second child and experienced what 'normal' bonding is as I realised how unlike that it had been with my first.

Do you feel like it could be post natal depression?

fairyfairygirl Sun 06-Dec-15 09:43:33

Yes, definitely and I have seen a counsellor but I can't say that it has helped, I have two other children who I have a very strong bond with and lots of love and time for. Some days the guilt is too much and I blame myself for the way she is. What helped in your situation?

HannahHobbins Sun 06-Dec-15 10:07:14

Ahhh don't blame yourself love, it's impossible to deal with sometimes.
I don't really know what happened, one day I was walking with her in the pushchair and I honestly felt something lift, like I had had a film over my eyes/brain and it cleared. Without sounding like a weirdo I felt like I could see sunlight again and notice things I hadn't really been aware of before.

Could you explore your options other than a counsellor? I had a fantastic counsellor when I was pregnant a second time and it all came roaring back and I had ante-natal depression. But it only made me feel better while she was actually there, as soon as she left I just felt crushing depression again.

But as soon as I had my second baby I felt a tangible change and it was like an epiphany when it went, honestly as soon as she left my body I felt it. Like someone had turned the lights on. I will go as far as to say it was like a drug induced rush of joy. Totally weird and I am not woo or religious!

I so wish I had gone and got drugs to help me when dd1 was little though it would have saved me years of depression.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now