Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

shaking on anti-depressants

(4 Posts)
MountainDweller Sun 06-Dec-15 00:06:01

Hi, I will try to keep this brief. I was on Prozac for years and fine on it then suddenly in Jan this year I started shaking. After lots of tests and experiments (I'm on lots of other meds too) I weaned off Prozac and the shaking stopped. But I've been struggling with depression and anxiety again and started another AD, cymbalta, at end of October. Started on 30mg - low dose - with view to increasing it but never did. Had lots of side effects and started shaking again after a couple of weeks. I stopped this drug a week ago and I am still shaking. It's just so awful. I can't stand up for more than 5 mins or it gets a hold and takes ages to go off. I have to sit or lie down all the time. I have been in tears because I just want it to stop. (It's not shaking from anxiety btw, it feels different and is a recognised side effect). Has any one had this? If I'm prone to this side effect are there any ADs I can take without this happening? I have a psych referral but he's away... He will call next week but don't know when I will get an appointment (not in UK so my situation there could be worse). But I am so desperate for the shaking to stop. Can anyone help? How long does it last? I have read online up to 4 months after stopping and am terrified. Thank you.

Aquamarine70 Sun 06-Dec-15 14:11:11

I had shaking when I took Prozac & my Dr put me on beta blockers

MountainDweller Sun 06-Dec-15 22:51:45

Thanks aquamarine I think I will phone doctor tomorrow. I have mentioned beta blockers to him before but he didn't seem keen to prescribe - I am already on calcium channel blockers for high BP, but I would think the prescription could be tweaked.

MountainDweller Thu 10-Dec-15 00:54:00

Am on beta blockers now, but not sure they are helping - and they make me very tired.

Have psych appt on Friday.

Have realised the one thing that makes a difference is my sleeping tablet, zolodorm. The only problem is that I am so pleased I'm finally not shaking that I don't want to go to sleep!

Seems ironic that the side effects (and after effects) of this AD are making me more depressed than I was when I started it sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now