Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalapram

(9 Posts)
OnlyMe27 Fri 04-Dec-15 08:46:18

Hi, I was taking 40mg citral pram then decided I would come off them (more as family etc advised) however I am feeling absolutely horrendous this week as I am on nothing now. I think I may have come off at the worst time of year with Xmas etc & have been signed off work for the past five months, returning in January. I think I need something to take the edge off things so was thinking of starting to take 20mg again, gives me 3 weeks till Xmas, do u think it's enough time for them to kick in? X

Northumberlandlass Fri 04-Dec-15 08:50:52

Have you stopped taking them suddenly? I am on 20mg a day & was told by GP that if I was to stop, I would have to reduce dose gradually.
Did you discuss stopping them with your GP?

strawberryandaflake Fri 04-Dec-15 08:54:24

Noooo! You can't just stop. You need to reduce the dosage gradually. No wonder you feel rubbish. Go take your normal dose for a few days until you function better again, then drop it by 5 or 10 a week, until you get to 10 then take it every other day. Tell your gp though as it needs monitoring.

Trooperslane Fri 04-Dec-15 09:06:30

Jesus! Don't let family bully you into this - if you need them, you need them.

Never change your dose without discussing with your doctor.

OnlyMe27 Fri 04-Dec-15 10:40:30

Sorry I typed it without much detail. I did discuss it with my doctor, I don't really know why I decided to I guess. My partner of 9 years & I split in June through no fault of my own & I think I thought about starting a fresh. I got down to 10mg then stopped. I have been okay up until this week. I find it very hard to deal with my thoughts and forget about being "in the now". I struggle at Xmas time cause I like everything to be perfect and it isn't. Maybe I just need tablets to take the edge off things. Does anyone else struggle with their thoughts? X

Northumberlandlass Fri 04-Dec-15 12:06:14

Yes, which is why I'm on 20mg a day of Citalopram. Bastard anxiety.
Why the pressure to come off them if they help you!

Trooperslane Tue 08-Dec-15 21:17:41

I'm the same as Northumberland - it's a fucker.

I get her wanting to come off, but Christmas is a hard time of year, so my advice would be to have a go after if you're feeling stronger.

Big hugs.

Wolfiefan Tue 08-Dec-15 21:25:03

I was advised to come off in tiny increments. I think the advice was reduce a tiny bit and stay at that dose until I had been ok for 3 months (can't remember if that was the right length of time but it was certainly weeks not days.)
Your family have no say. You reduce dose when you and GP decide.

ChoudeBruxelles Tue 08-Dec-15 21:29:01

I'm on 20mg and I've discussed with gp about me coming off it and he won't support it til the spring as he said this is a bad time of year to do it (short days, not enough daylight...)

Do you have any tablets left that you could take

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now