Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline is getting worse, not better - stick with it?

(17 Posts)
feesh Mon 30-Nov-15 15:37:55

I was on Valdoxan for depression (long term, but I am very high functioning depression) but was still having some issues getting snappy with my family. My doc wanted to try me on an SSRI so we agreed on Sertraline.

I'm into week 3 now and I only recently started getting the side effects - I am starving hungry ALL the time, which is really annoying as I eat a very low carb diet and I was never getting hungry before - this feels like my blood sugar is all over the place. I am getting really arsey when hungry as well.

Generally, I am just incredibly snappish, have absolutely NO patience and feel like I just want to run off upstairs and hide from the kids.

I can't be bothered to do anything, I keep sticking the TV on for the kids and taking myself off somewhere.

I am just feeling really shit. I don't know if it's going to pass as this only started in week 2, which doc said is really unusual. I feel like I have gone from a high-functioning depressive to a very low functioning one.

I've also started worrying about stuff and I never used to be a worrier before.

Shall I stick with it or go back to the Valdoxan? I'd be reluctant to try another SSRI to be honest.

hefzi Mon 30-Nov-15 20:04:47

In all honesty, I'd give it another couple of weeks: it can take what feels like an age for things to settle down and the drugs to kick in properly - and this might be the magic one that works for you.

cymrukernow Tue 01-Dec-15 08:55:37

Stick with it - I'm on week four and still not feeling right - though it is starting to get better.

DancingDuck Tue 01-Dec-15 09:01:06

Hmm. I stopped it after a month - or just less, because I couldn't stand the side effects and felt no benefits except for a brief blissed out feeling on day one. Like you I was slumped on the sofa, with fuzzy brain. Since I was on ADs to try and get rid of that sluggish, low motivation, woolly brain that depression gives, there seemed no point in sertraline.

This is entirely anecdotal, but I've found friends with one-off cause-based depression got on well with sertraline but people with long term on-going depression find citalopram helps more. Though of course you get the carb-eating monster with that too, just not so immediately.

LittleCandle Tue 01-Dec-15 09:04:53

DD2 was put on that and after a couple of weeks, was so much worse, they decided she had sertraline syndrome and she was changed to citralopram, which is helping at last. So might be worth having a word with your GP.

feesh Tue 01-Dec-15 09:13:13

Thanks everyone. I think I will stick it out for 6 weeks (don't want to start messing around with more meds over the Christmas period anyway) and see how it goes. I will come back and update so others can see how it panned out.

Currently hiding upstairs in bed while the kids are downstairs watching TV, I just can't stand to be around them at the moment which is really awful I know sad

DancingDuck Tue 01-Dec-15 09:36:45

feesh ADs are supposed to prevent that feeling of needing to hide in bed away from DC, not make it worse. No harm in chatting to GP just to let them know how it's going, in case you do need to switch before Christmas.

cymrukernow Tue 01-Dec-15 15:17:30

Agree with DancingDuck it wouldn't hurt to speak to your GP. That feeling of wanting to be alone is something I know about too. I feel less comfortable around people, even my DCs, which then makes me feel even more guilty and selfish.

feesh Tue 01-Dec-15 18:24:14

DancingDuck, did you switch to another SSRI or just stop ADs altogether?

DancingDuck Tue 01-Dec-15 18:32:05

Back on Citalopram for now sad At least it works for moods though it makes me so sleepy I barely function. GP says she'll consider Venfaxaline (or whatever it's called) but I need to have an ECG first as it can put a strain on the heart.

ivybleed Tue 01-Dec-15 18:35:45

keep going...im mid week 7 and feel a bit more stabilised....mine is for anxiety. the first monh was awful for me...exhausted during the day, broken sleep at night.....massive carb munchies uurgh

i put on 4lbs but its back off now

i feel okay, sleeping better, just started TOTM and no rage....thats a new one!

DancingDuck Tue 01-Dec-15 18:36:27

*Feesh I do love Citalopram as a very effective AD. It got rid of my depression brilliantly. Definitely worth a try if you are feeling very low and not coping. And I didn't feel like it was just masking anything. I felt like me again. A happy, sane, calm best version of who I really am, underneath the depression, mood-wise. But OMG the side effects of sleepiness and walking as slowly as someone with a zimmer frame, and snoozing my life away like a pensioner. I put on loads of weight and eventually came off it. But back on for now (as of this week hmm ) as I got too ill to function. Will take it to take the edge of the illness and then see.

romanrainsalot Tue 01-Dec-15 18:40:28

Speak to GP, but keep going for now unless GP suggests otherwise. Do you have a partner or someone who can help with the kids? Taking time out whilst you get used to SSRIs is a good idea, even if its just for a couple of hours. Its hard work taking such meds and having to look after kids also.

Good luck x

DebussyHead Tue 01-Dec-15 20:33:26

I'm on Day 8 of Setraline and have found it has made me more depressed feeling and anxious but Dr did warn this could happen and I have Diazapam to even the anxiety spikes. I have decided to stick with it for 6 weeks which appears to be the time it takes to kick in. I have insomnia too and an currently signed off work for 4 weeks which is causing me a lot of anxiety in itself (signed off with stress, anxiety and depression). Feel I have ruined my career but think that is the Setraline induced low mood and anxiety.

It's good to hear how others are getting on.

cymrukernow Tue 01-Dec-15 22:23:21

DebussyHead don't feel bad about being signed off from work - you need that time for yourself. It will not ruin your career- is your workplace supportive?

DebussyHead Tue 01-Dec-15 23:07:50

So far my work have been supportive so far, I work 4 days and had been given workload of 2 full time people which led to prolonged stress and an (embarrassing) breakdown in the office. I have 2 young kids too . Am meeting my boss tomorrow for coffee. This is week 3 of being off and signed of for a further 3 weeks. Part of me thinks I should go.back asap so I stop being anxious about not being at work but then it's hard to concentrate and still often tearful. Would be good to let setraline settle before returning , am dreading facing colleagues they all know what's happened to me.

cymrukernow Wed 02-Dec-15 08:56:38

DebussyHead your work needs to ease you back in gently. There are rules governing how staff are treated at work, check ACAS maybe? Or there are mental health charities that deal with occupational health. I am an employer myself and had someone off for 6 weeks. We did a return to work interview to make sure the person was well enough and phased her back into her role. She was fine after that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now