Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I've lost 4 years of my life

(6 Posts)
Heaveniswaiting Sun 29-Nov-15 15:50:58

I'm in such a fog with this illness I've lost time. I saw a woman in the playground the other day with her daughter and wondered why the child was so big, I remember her in a pushchair. It's like I've lost my memory or something. I also have trouble with faces, I get confused who people are sometimes. I'm ok with my loved ones but with other people I get mixed up sometimes. It's embarrassing. I want to be the old me again who was well and didn't need medicating.

Heaveniswaiting Sun 29-Nov-15 15:52:03

Just to add- I lost most of my twenties too. Thirties was ok but forties is looking a bit hopeless.

dontrunwithscissors Sun 29-Nov-15 16:15:35

I can really sympathise. I had PND after DD1 (8.5 years), which never fully went away. I then became very ill after DD2 (almost 6) and was diagnosed bipolar. I've lost count of the number of episodes since 2010. I've had 6 admissions--I am just coming out of an episode of psychotic depression and was discharged from hospital on Thursday.

I love the DDs immeasurably, but grieve for my life pre-bipolar. I am 40 next month and very happy about it. Almost all of my 30s have been dominated by mental illness, medication, admissions and the crisis team. I feel like I've spent the last 8 years just managing to exist.

I'm hoping that life really does 'begin at 40.'

Heaveniswaiting Sun 29-Nov-15 16:30:23

Glad to hear you're home now dontrun. I too grieve for my old life pre illness but I'm not sure it existed. My illness is episodic but I don't seem to have many periods of full good mental health anymore. I have meds to take which bring me some level of good mental health but along with meds comes fog, obesity and laziness.

hefzi Mon 30-Nov-15 20:20:45

I hear you, sister - it seems to be getting worse as I get older, with ever-increasing episodes of poor MH (the current one 9.5 years and counting). I don't have anything cheery to add - but wanted to let you both know you're not alone!

Heaveniswaiting Mon 30-Nov-15 20:55:22

Sorry to hear you're suffering too hefzi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now