Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I want some practical coping tips for my ADHD tendencies. Who should I be looking for, counsellor or psychotherapist or something else?

(4 Posts)
Jemster Fri 27-Nov-15 18:16:45

I had counselling in the past and it helped me deal with certain things that I think have affected me. My gp also prescribed low dose ad's which I still take.
I am still not happy though & I'm sure this is down to my ADHD liks tendencies to be disorganised, late, forgetful etc. I get very distracted, my mind wanders & I can't even complete simple tasks like meal planning or managing finances. This in turn makes me feel down & irritable.

I've had enough of feeling like this and have been reading up on adult ADHD & would like to see someone who can help me with some practical ways of dealing with this. I don't want to spend hours talking about my childhood as I don't think it will help & I feel like I've done that bit before and feel ok about it.

I have spoken to a couple of counsellors on the phone & tried to explain what I want but they just want me to 'explore' my past & why I feel like this. I don't think that will help, I just am this way & I want practical suggestions to change.

Has anyone else felt similar & what help did you get? Is a counsellor the right person to help or should I be looking for something else? Thanks

TeamFinn Fri 27-Nov-15 18:25:07

Maybe try a psychologist who can help with some behavioural strategies. Also mindfulness might help you to learn to focus and direct your attention.

cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 27-Nov-15 19:29:08

Have you spoken with an occupational therapist? They can hep you manage things like self regulation and with executive functioning skills like planning and organisation?

JontyDoggle37 Fri 27-Nov-15 19:43:51

If you're trying to do meal planning/finances, try having some high energy music on. I can really struggle with my concentration/motivation sometimes, but if I do this it somehow gees me up enough to get the job done. I also set myself a time limit for the task, so there's some pressure to get on with it - like 'OK, I've got twenty minutes to plan all the meals and do the shopping list - go!'.
Also, buy a nice notebook (A5 size works well) and carry it with you everywhere. Each day start the day by writing your to-do list for that day. Then tick things off as you go. I don't have ADHD to my knowledge(!), but have an incredibly busy life and a brain that likes to be scattered if not well channelled, and these things work really well for me. Also, try to notice if you are worse at particular times of day, as it could actually be swings in your blood sugar affecting you - if you lose concentration most often 2-3 hours after a meal, this could well be it. I low-carb a bit and completely avoid bread and it stops me getting the brain fog. Also, you need to get tested for iron levels and thyroid function, just to make sure there is no cause physically for lack of concentration. And make sure you are drinking enough water - dehydration will always affect your ability to think clearly. Hope this helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now