Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Long term unemployed

(2 Posts)
Thesecretfleece Wed 25-Nov-15 16:13:37

I have been unemployed for years due to suffering from anxiety and depression and now I am starting to panic because I am coming up to 50 and I feel I am on the road to nowhere.
My cv is very sparse looking regarding paid job experience.I do some voluntary work but this is not often taken seriously
I struggle to motivate myself because I tend to feel like what is the point as we will all be dead one day anyway (sorry to sound so negative) and because of this attitude I find it difficult to take anything seriously.
I guess I am asking is there anyone out there who has managed to turn their lives around and found meaningful work after being unemployed for a long time? I need hope because I have no idea how to get out of this rut!

hefzi Wed 25-Nov-15 20:51:23

I was unemployed for nearly three years - my job contract finished, and I struggled to find another job, and though I had horrendous depression at the time, I wasn't signed off with it. I really struggled, and during that period, also developed severe anxiety, to the extent it used to take me several goes, for example, to get to the doctors, and I mostly stayed in my 8 x 8 bedroom, as I was in a shared house at the time, and couldn't stand other people around. It was utterly vile, and I lost all hope of a future.

However, in the end, the house share broke up, and I was struggling to find somewhere else to live: I ended up living rough in the park, and used to go into my library to keep warm and use the loos etc. By chance, one day there I saw a job advertised that was the sort of thing I had been doing before, and decided to apply: that was a limited contract job, but the experience I got in those nine months led directly to me getting the job I have now. For five years, I've been in a permanent position, and no-one believes that I have direct experience of struggling on benefits.

I'm still not better - but I am better than I was, and my life situation is much, much better. It was absolutely a random chance that led me to see and apply for that first job - and chance, really, that I got it: but it turned my situation around. I don't have much practical to offer you in terms of advice - but I had given up all hope, and still, things ended up working out: there's no reason that shouldn't be the case for you too - I'm not a nice person, or a special person, and most certainly not a "lucky" person (in the conventional sense - I am the person who will inevitably lose the winning lottery ticket etc) so if it can work out for me, it can definitely work out for you.

I guess my only piece of advice would be to keep persevering, even when you don't feel like it: because if you don't apply, you definitely won't get that job.

Hang in there...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now