Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Coming off of Sertraline

(7 Posts)
twiglet59 Sat 21-Nov-15 08:02:05

I have posted this again as the subject title was wrong. grin

I have been on sertraline for 18 months now for anxiety. The initial bit was hard. As it seems to be that way for most people. Anyway about 3 months ago I went to my gp and told him I wanted to come off of them, he told me to reduce the dosage slowly. I was on 50mg a day. He said reduce to 25mg for a week then a week of 25 mg every other day. I felt fine. I thought this is great . I was starting to feel normal again, sleeping better as well., but too scared to come off all together. The last month my anxiety has come back feeling terrible again and queasiness. Yesterday I went to gp again and told him how I had been feeling and he prescribed me Prozac (fluoxetine). I took one last night and had a disturbed nights sleep. I really want to come off them all together but am scared. Wondered if anyone has positive experiences of coming off of them.

Sonotsexy Sat 21-Nov-15 08:39:51

My story is pretty much the same as yours. I think you tried to come off them too fast. I know it's great to be rid of them, but I did 25mg for a month or so, then every other day for a month (I think), and it really was fine. The slower the better. When I came off them fast I had brain zaps, the lot. You can do it. Hope you feel better soon.

Snozberry Sat 21-Nov-15 08:54:33

I came off them about 18mo ago but tapered it much slower, I was coming off 100mg and told to take 50mg for 2 weeks, 25mg for 2 weeks, then 12.5mg for 2 weeks. It has a short half life so if you skip days it can make you feel awful. I felt ok for a few months but the anxiety crept back in and I'm back on them now 18mo later. I'm trying to just accept that I might need them permanently. Why do you want to be off them completely? Is it the side effects?

twiglet59 Sat 21-Nov-15 10:07:01

Thanks for the advice. I have skipped days accidentally and maybe that's why I feel awful. I think I will try the slower method. I don't like the side effects. It affects my sleep mainly and I just don't like being on medication. Also, I'm not sure it makes that much difference to my anxiety. Do you mind me asking what type of anxiety you take yours for Snozberry. Mine is social anxiety.

Bellyrub1980 Sat 21-Nov-15 13:20:13

Hi Twiglet. I'm taking 100mg for post natal anxiety (for the last 9 months) I'm not totally convinced it's helped me much either as, even at this dose, I still get several anxiety attacks a week. Although the constant nervous/sick feeling has gone.

Are you going to keep up with your new meds?

IMustEatMoreVeg Sat 21-Nov-15 13:30:39

Fluoxetine will disturb your sleep so take it in the morning. It is also quite anxiety provoking in some people so it might not be the best choice for you.

twiglet59 Sat 21-Nov-15 16:03:33

Hi Bellyrub I was on a dose of 150mg at one point and sometimes I think it even made the anxiety worse. It's hard to remember as my memory is not the best. Thanks for the advice Imusteastmoreveg about it maybe making the anxiety worse. I read a few bits on the internet about people not finding it great for social anxiety. My GP suggested it and I was in a bit of a state at the time, so just said yes. I took my first tablet last night and had a disturbed. So have decided to try and be brave and come off of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now