Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Feel like I'm being abandoned

(15 Posts)
Ikeatears Mon 16-Nov-15 14:16:02

Probably a dramatic title because I'm not exactly being abandoned but it's how I feel.
Had a complete depression and anxiety breakdown in September and GP was rubbish. Self referred to MH assessment team who referred me to the Home Treatment Team who have been coming at least 3 times a week since then (at one point twice a day).
I've now seen psychiatrist and psychologist and on Thursday HTT will go to a meeting with IAPT where they will suggest passing my case onto psychological services (I'll go on a waiting list for therapy) HTT will then close my case.
I know it's a natural progression but I feel like I'll have no one to turn to. My GP is spectacularly shit, I can't facing the hassle of changing just yet and also, I don't want to fall through the cracks/have notes lost/letters going to wrong GP until I'm at least back to work (earliest January).
I know I'm probably overly reliant on them but I'm still on quetiapine which I know I'll need to reduce before I go back to work and I don't know how to do this without proper guidance which I won't get from my GP.
I feel really panicked about the whole thing and just want to hide away and cry. I know I'm being pathetic. I just needed to write it downsad

Ikeatears Mon 16-Nov-15 17:35:32

Anyone around?

Heaveniswaiting Mon 16-Nov-15 18:43:10

I really feel for you. I'm waiting for yet another referral to cmht, as they discharge me as soon as I'm stable. It is scary when you have to go it alone and I would urge you to find a good GP. I managed to work on Quetiapine but the sedation was awful. Sorry I'm not much help, I'm not in a good place.

Ikeatears Mon 16-Nov-15 18:58:49

Hi Heaven, sorry you're not feeing great. Hope you get your referral through soon. I don't feel safe to drive on quetiapine for at least a few hours after I take it, it also makes me slur slightly and as I teach, I just don't see how I could do it. Thanks for the reply. How long have you been waiting? Any idea when you'll be back with the CMHT? flowers

Heaveniswaiting Mon 16-Nov-15 19:13:20

They have to see me within 28 days of referral so I shouldn't have to wait too long. My GP is very good though. I know what you mean about driving on Quetiapine- have you tried the extended release version?

Ikeatears Mon 16-Nov-15 22:19:43

I asked the consultant about it on Tuesday - he said there's no evidence to show it would make any difference

ltyler92 Tue 17-Nov-15 14:34:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

dontrunwithscissors Tue 17-Nov-15 14:58:54

Some people find the extended release less sedating. Your GP is talking crap. On the other hand, some people find it makes the sedation worse. My experimece was the latter. Do you take a day time dose of Q? I take mine all at night. I'm now on 750mg and no longer find it sedating at all. However, in earlier days, there was no way I could function with a daytime dose. I've never had a problem taking it all at night. I think you may well find your GP to be of little help in this kind of fine tuning of medication.

Quetiapine has been a lifesaver for me. Don't give up on it too soon. The sedation can wear off.

dontrunwithscissors Tue 17-Nov-15 14:59:40

Ps I've reported the message above mine......

Ikeatears Tue 17-Nov-15 17:39:11

I'm only on a low dose (75 at night and 25 in the day) as its for anxiety. I've actually not taken my 25 today and I can't say I feel any worse than usual really, although I'm always more wobbly first thing and in the evening so I'll see how I get on later.
What was up with ltyler's post? I missed it.

Heaveniswaiting Tue 17-Nov-15 19:05:29

It was a student doing research. I think it's against the rules.

Ikeatears Wed 18-Nov-15 09:26:43

Ah ok. Oh well, at least it wasn't a nasty troll.
How are you today Heaven?

unweavedrainbow Wed 18-Nov-15 09:42:06

Hello Ikea I'm sorry you're still struggling.
I've chatted to you about quetiapine before. Quetiapine is actually more sedating at lower doses (it binds to different receptors in the brain) and so, if you find it helpful, it might be worth increasing the dose rather than reducing it.
Whatever you do, don't try and reduce it yourself without help. Quetiapine withdrawal is horrible.
Are the HTT referring you to a CPN/care-coordinator? In lots of CMHTs psychological services can work in conjunction with a CPN and a CPN will help while you're waiting for your referral to be processed. It's a big jump from HTT to just psychiatrist, especially if you're still feeling wobbly flowers

Heaveniswaiting Wed 18-Nov-15 12:33:13

I'm doing ok thanks Ikeatears, better since my AP dose was increased.

Ikeatears Wed 18-Nov-15 15:34:05

Hi rainbow, I asked about sedation at lower doses because I know Mirtazapine works like that and I was told quetiapine was different. So frustrating when you can't get a straight answer.
I've actually managed yesterday and today with no morning dose and feel fine. I'm still taking my night time dose.
As far as I know, once IAPT accept me onto the waiting list for psychological therapy, my case is closed with the HTT and I just wait for an appointment. I haven't been told that I will have any contact with a CPN. They're phoning me on Friday with the outcome of the IAPT meeting so I'll ask all these questions then.
I'm feeling a bit better about it all today. It's a positive step forward that I'm moving from the HTT and I am in such a different place than I was even just a few weeks ago.
Heaven, I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now