We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram for anxiety 10mg

(8 Posts)
YommyMommy Thu 12-Nov-15 23:32:17

Hello Ladies,

So after an awful two weeks with my anxiety back in full swing I decided to ask my GP to put me back on Med's. I have been on these previously roughly 3 years ago and I have to say they changed my life smile

Hoping for the same results this time around.

Please tell your positive stories with Citalopram smile

I am, of course, worried sick about taking them this time around too, lol! Nature of the bloody anxiety beast!

x x x

Wolfiefan Thu 12-Nov-15 23:35:57

My positive story is I've stopped taking it!
grin
I was really suffering and didn't really want to take it at all. I did. I had some CBT. I worked hard and slowly weaned myself off it.
It was a necessary step in my recovery.
Good luck. X

ephemeralfairy Thu 12-Nov-15 23:40:20

Hi OP

I have been on Citalopram on and off for about 10 years. Dosage from 10 to 40mg.
I always started gradually with 10 for the first week or so then went up very gradually so as to avoid side effects. I am emetophobic so I really couldn't have coped with feeling nauseous but doing the gradual increase meant I had pretty much no side effects at all.
Overall I would say I feel positive about it.

Good luck!

YommyMommy Thu 12-Nov-15 23:50:29

Thank so much ladies,

When did you find was the best time of the day to take them?

I think I done morning the last time!

smile

ephemeralfairy Fri 13-Nov-15 01:30:02

Yeah I did the morning, seem to remember GP saying that taking it at night could cause/increase insomnia.

YommyMommy Fri 13-Nov-15 22:13:36

Well first pill down the hatch...here's hoping side affects are minimum as my DH still has 4 days away at work ??

Wish me luck ladies ??

Nickinoo30 Mon 16-Nov-15 07:51:04

I started 10mg last monday. This is the second time round for me but last time on it it changed my life.

Side effects are manageable, headaches and nausea mainly (am emetophobic but I coped) and lots of really vivid dreaming.

My main symptoms of anxiety are in the morning - I get so anxious and gag and retch (but am never sick) so I take my around 6pm as it would be impossible for me to swallow a tablet in the morning.

Good luck - keep me updated as to your progress

YommyMommy Mon 16-Nov-15 23:53:00

Hi Nickinoo,

This is my second time too and I totally understand how you feel about the anxiety and the gagging and retching...I get that in the morning too. Horrible, eh!

So looking forward to the tablets kicking in again smile

On my first day I had horrible side effects, sickness, feeling so drousy...not good. The second day I took it at night time and I have to say I have been sleeping much better and having pretty much no side effects other than feeling tired, but that will be the anxiety too.

Keep in touch and let me know how you go also smile x x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now