Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I think I need to go back on SSRIs

(9 Posts)
SnozBuriedUnderThePatio Thu 12-Nov-15 18:06:10

Sorry this might be long. I have had anxiety specifically health anxiety and fears surrounding my daughter since her birth 2.5 years ago.

I took sertraline for about 6 months and the world mellowed, not perfectly but enough to go about my life. I also briefly had CBT which I am not finding helpful anymore.

I have been increasingly getting more anxious again for the past year but trying to avoid facing it. I look for excuses for the anxiety like - oh it's just flared up because of whatever event and will pass - and try and use distraction and relaxtion techniques to work through it which isn't helpful long term. I think I want it to just be a post-birth problem and move on with my life because accepting that my brain is permanently broken is scary.

But I have had a really really anxious awful few weeks and I can't do this anymore. I think I have to face that this is just me now sad

A few things that I am taking into consideration, we are trying to conceive, are SSRIs safe? I gained 20lbs on sertraline and have only been able to lose half of it so I am worried that going back onto the same med I will gain more? The GP did say at the time that sertraline is not one that causes weight gain but I was the same weight from my teens until that point. My libido also vanished which is obviously not ideal when TTC.

I don't know whether to ask for sertraline again because I know it works for my anxiety or ask for a different one because of the above symptoms.

I want to see my GP tomorrow would I be an arse to make an emergency appt for this? Usual waiting time is 2 weeks for a standard appt and I am thinking 2 weeks plus 2-3 weeks for it to take affect and I will have jumped in front of a car sad

Can someone talk this through with me please?

SnozBuriedUnderThePatio Thu 12-Nov-15 18:15:56

At the moment I am convinced I have appendicitis a couple of days ago it was a heart attack there have also been mini strokes and bowel cancer featured this week sad I just want it all to go away but a small part of me also worries that if I stop noticing these symptoms then one day I WILL be ill and I might die. Which is where it all started, ignoring symptoms and almost dying. I think I need some therapy to just talk that through but having already had CBT on the NHS would they be able to offer me another type of therapy?

SnozBuriedUnderThePatio Thu 12-Nov-15 19:07:18

Bumping (sorry)

Babbafish Thu 12-Nov-15 19:27:46

Accept the sertraline !!!! 3 weeks ago I have lung cancer ,breast cancer and throat cancer ..... Nope I had anxiety !!!!

SnozBuriedUnderThePatio Thu 12-Nov-15 20:27:26

Thank you babbafish. Did you start on meds a few weeks ago? I remember them taking a while to kick in, I hope you're feeling better at the moment.

I do really want to go back on meds but worried about the TTC aspect.

It is shitty isn't it, I've had blood tests, ECGs, 24 bp monitor, but I still think there is something wrong with me. Even since starting this post my mind has wandered to kidney disease although I am sure my blood tests checked kidney function.

I worry about my DD too, I can't even let her out of my sight. If DH takes her out for 10 minutes I need constant text updates to know she hasn't been hit by a car or kidnapped or choked.

It can't carry on.

SnozBuriedUnderThePatio Fri 13-Nov-15 17:34:37

Gor an appt for Monday just got to make it through the weekend

celtictoast Fri 13-Nov-15 19:14:20

Glad you have an appointment and I hope it's helpful flowers

SnozBuriedUnderThePatio Fri 13-Nov-15 19:56:43

Thank you celtic

slugseatlettuce Fri 13-Nov-15 20:04:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now