Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What are these 'voices'?

(4 Posts)
HarHer Fri 06-Nov-15 20:56:58

Hi,

My 16 year old son has Asperger's syndrome and severe anxiety. He was an inpatient in a CAMHS unit for seven months last year and again, due to low mood and suicidal ideation, for three weeks in June this year.

My problem is that he panics/melts down in almost any social situation. So we cannot travel on public transport, he won't go into shops, he runs upstairs if anyone unfamiliar comes to the house where we are lodging or if family groups are too large. He also says he hears voices, sees visions of a black cat or a scary face, and has intrusive thoughts which he writes down. The content of his writing is graphic, violent and sexual in nature. His psychiatrist says this could be OCD.

Currently my son is under a Child Protection Plan and we are essentially homeless. Colleges say they cannot meet his needs and the local authority is looking at a personalised package of learning for him. I hope that once our accommodation is sorted out and we can develop our own routine my son's mental health will improve. However, I am scared for him at the moment. I want to help him by supporting him to take those little steps towards re-engaging, but I know it is a gigantic task.

In addition, I feel a bit out of my depth. I can understand the anxiety (to some extent) and I can see how this is compounded by autism. I can understand that OCD can manifest itself in horrible intrusive thoughts. But the voices and the visions are something else. Can anxiety and related condition result in hearing voices and hallucinating or could my son have some form of psychosis?

I realise only personal opinion can be expressed here, but any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

dangermouseisace Sat 07-Nov-15 10:37:55

Hiya this is more of a bump than anything as I don't have any answers. I've worked with people with autism/aspergers including people who couldn't cope with social situations- acting very similar to your son. Happily this can improve with professional support, but it's never going to be easy for him. Have you told the psychiatrist about the voices/hallucinations? I've not heard of anxiety causing hallucinations however I know that depression can and they are all kind of interlinked...is your son on any medication?

It sounds like you both are in a situation that anyone would find stressful, let alone someone with Aspergers. Surely you must be in the highest priority for housing, or at least the one below highest?

CloakAndJagger Sat 07-Nov-15 13:01:55

Hi OP. my DS has ASD and also hears voices telling him bad things. It seems to be linked to stress and from CAMHS point of view they think it's more that it's him not understanding his internal monologue as it goes away when he's calm. It's scary for me though and school really struggled with it as he'd hit himself and all sorts to get the voices out of his head.

I don't know what to suggest really as I've not been able to fix it. I get a lot of help from our local NAS branch do you have one local to you? If not, it's the usual case for a parent with a child with these issues, which is keep slogging and chasing services for help.

Sorry I've not been much use, but I feel for you and I hope that he settles when you get a permanent place to live.

HarHer Sat 07-Nov-15 15:15:17

Hello,

Thank you. I think you are right. The voices and images probably come from his own thoughts especially the intrusive ones. I will mention these to his psychiatrist. My son is on Risperidone and Sertraline.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now