Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Therapy for PTSD

(8 Posts)
Runningoutofnamesagain Wed 28-Oct-15 17:18:01

Possibly have PTSD

Seen gp and they can refer for Cbt but the waiting list is long
I have a counsellor I can see ASAP but wondered if there is a better type of therapy I could access privately sooner

Tried to do a bit of research and I do think I have this and obviously want to deal with it
What type of therapy is best?

Pennypebbles Wed 28-Oct-15 17:23:35

A lot of people find EMDR useful, but it didn't help me.

Cognitive Analytic Therapy was also useful for a short-time but didn't help long-term.

Sorry I can't be anymore help, I've never been able to fully deal with it myself.

Runningoutofnamesagain Wed 28-Oct-15 17:26:22

I will look those up thank you

unweavedrainbow Wed 28-Oct-15 17:35:47

I'm having psychodynamic psychotherapy through the NHS for complex ptsd, DID and BPD. I see a clinical psychologist weekly for 50 minutes and we talk about my experiences, flashbacks, nightmares and crises-as well as what is going on in my life. I've been seeing her for about 18 months and we are working towards a discharge in the spring, although I am far from well, as we're hitting a bit of a brick wall as far as therapy is concerned.
You could pursue psychodynamic psychotherapy privately. It is considered very effective for complex trauma and ptsd, although, as it is so intensive, it would be quite expensive I imagine. Good luck finding a therapist smile flowers

Obs2015 Wed 28-Oct-15 17:38:13

Suffered ptsd recently. Was offered cbt. I've had it before and found it useless. So I have had nothing.
Sorry I can't even suggest something.

Runningoutofnamesagain Wed 28-Oct-15 17:45:20

Sorry to hear that it didn't help obs2015

I will look into the other therapies mentioned as not keen on the idea of a long wait on nhs

Chapsie Wed 28-Oct-15 22:58:30

EMDR was very helpful for me

onlyfairychasing Fri 30-Oct-15 19:26:26

I have talk therapy but that's more about the cause of the PTSD than dealing with it. I've learnt to deal with it on my own. I am in talk therapy to talk and work through what caused PTSD.

Its hard work but it helps to talk about the trauma and all the many issues that go with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now