Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Psychosis or not?

(5 Posts)
bkgirl Sun 25-Oct-15 10:56:48

Hello, I write on behalf of a friend who has been diagnosed with psychosis. The trouble is, I suspect the diagnosis is wrong (I am not a medic). She has made certain allegations about certain people, I do believe her, she comes from an extremely religious family and literally would never tell even a white lie. I have teased out the allegations, they were inappropriate sexual advances made by highly thought of church members. The police say no law has been broken. I am amazed that it wasn't deemed molestation. I have urged her to go to Nexus but she isn't ready. She has asked me to attend her next meeting with her psychiatrist. The definition of psychosis is about perceiving things differently, yet someone who has a strong religious ethos of any sort can seem...well 'different' to many others. She has been isolated from her own community because they choose to believe the two men who she alleges abused her. The problem is that this has now caused her to loose her employment. She cannot move on without clearing her name. Can anyone suggest an approach? I do not know how to assist.

dontrunwithscissors Sun 25-Oct-15 16:42:07

I obviously have no idea what is happening to your friend--but it sounds like you're pretty misinformed about what psychosis is like. If someone is psychotic, then it's not 'telling a white lie' or anything to do with 'a strong religious ethic'. Your post comes across as somehwat judgemental. When psychotic, someone's whole sense of reality changes--so that someone can completely change and it will seem 100% 'real' to them. You don't say whether she has a past history of psychosis or mental illness, or is taking medication.

I'm not saying that you're wrong--I'm absolutely sure that, sadly, this sort of thing happens, where women are dismissed.

The best thing you can do is go with her to her psych appointment and ask him/her to explain why they believe this is psychosis.

bkgirl Sun 25-Oct-15 17:55:28

Thank you smile I appreciate there is no tie in between lying/religion and psychosis and in no way seek to judge. It's just that the response she has been getting from some people so far is to allege she was lying or is over sensitive because of her religious beliefs. I was just trying to explain why I believe her. Other things have happened eg phonecalls/visits to her door but these are denied by the parties and the psychologist. I understand the psychiatrist thinks she has imagined these happenings, hence she is alleged to be psychotic. She has employed investigators who have furnished her with proof of the calls. In addition her parents were present at the time and witnessed the visits. She doesn't even know whether or not to give this info to the psychiatrist who she believes is determined in her mindset. I was asked to attend to give support, if I would be allowed to ask your question - that would be superb. Thank you so much.

dontrunwithscissors Sun 25-Oct-15 18:18:06

Sorry, I can see from your last post that you are just trying to understand rather than being judgemental. Will try to come back later once DCs are in bed.

bkgirl Sun 25-Oct-15 18:28:06

Much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now