Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What helps on a really bad day?

(4 Posts)
onlyoranges Wed 21-Oct-15 11:51:50

I am having a bad day, feel so down, considering using one of my very unhelpful coping strategies (self harm). How do other people cope on their bad days. What helps?

Lottapianos Wed 21-Oct-15 11:58:52

Trying to sort out exactly what I'm feeling - angry? Sad? Exhausted? - and why I'm feeling that way. Allowing myself to do the absolute bare minimum that I have to do that day. Planning something comforting for the end of the day - something safe like chocolate or early night, rather than alcohol or similar. Trying to remind myself that it will pass, it really will, it always does.

Are you on meds? Do you have professional support - therapist or similar?

I'm sorry OP, it feels shit. Please try to avoid the self harm - I understand the impulse totally but it just solves nothing and leaves you with horrendous guilt and regret.

onlyoranges Wed 21-Oct-15 12:05:36

Thanks for your kind reply. Yes have workers etc. You are right it will pass. I need to hold onto that. Somedays I just wish I wasn't me.

Lottapianos Wed 21-Oct-15 12:08:13

Its deeply crap and feels very unfair. Try to take care of yourself as well as possible - fruit and veg, lots of hydration, rest, sleep as much as you can, some exercise if you can manage it. Its OK to feel this way - it hurts and its awful but it happens and you will get through it x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now