Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

does anyone know

(2 Posts)
Monkeybabiess111 Sat 17-Oct-15 19:59:54

Why do People like me have suicidal thoughts, Drs/Cmht don't care because it's happens so much I don't blame them but I really want to know why they keep returning now and how to stop them.
I spent all morning thinking of ways, now I'm calmer but it really does scare me as I want them to go away but they aren't staying away.
I've not self harmed in over a week that normally stops them but I'm trying to stop it all but it's not getting easier.
Sorry droned on there but really can they be stopped if so how do I do it I don't want to die I really don't but I can't stop thinking about it every few days.

MotiSen Sat 17-Oct-15 20:20:51

In CBT, they would call these unwanted, intrusive thoughts. They say they become a habit, and as a habit are actually ... believe it or not, comforting. I know that sounds really weird, but the intrusive thoughts and self-hurting may have become your way of coping with stress/anxiety/depression.

What they say is - you have to 1. recognize that, 2. work with a therapist to come up with an alternative path - something >>else<< to do when the unwanted intrusive thoughts come up.

I'm not a therapist, but I have had unwanted,intrusive thoughts. Every morning, the thought would enter my head ... I wish I were dead. And, I'd feel physically ill. Once I identified the thought was not what I really wanted, I would wake up - and i'd know I was about to think, I wish I were dead. So, I'd tell myself, I really don't want to think that. And I would not let that thought enter my head.

I look around for something to distract me - like this morning, the light through the blinds was making a topping pattern on the wall - so I focused on that instead. Then I got up. It takes time to replace intrusive thoughts with other thoughts and actions.

I had to work on how I was living my life, and other things. I had to step back. It's been 10 years now, since I started on the road to understand myself. I feel much better. There were times at the beginning when i needed anti-anxiety medication, light anti-depressants. And, sometimes, when the stress is external, yes, you'll backslide a bit - but overall, I think improvement happens, but it takes time.

Best wishes! You deserve a better life. I know I did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now