Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

what type of professional?

(1 Post)
nuttybananas Thu 17-Sep-15 14:56:32

My dad lives overseas and has been struggling for a number of years with loneliness that has gradually got worse and manifests itself in depression, mood swings and panic attacks. The local health service is pretty basic and not really helping with these kind of issues. While we would love him to come back to the UK he will not do it and our phone calls and visits are not enough as he hasn't got any good friendships out there who he can talk to face to face often enough. Together with him we agreed that we would pay for some professional help on a regular basis but I'm at a bit of a loss as to the best kind of professional.

A bit of google searching and I seem to have narrowed it down to 3 kinds - a psychiatrist, a psychologist and a counsellor. I think that he probably needs a counsellor rather than the former 2 but not 100% sure. As its not a massively developed country I'm not too sure that there are going to be many different kinds of counsellor available anyway.

Any thoughts on the pro's and con's of the different types of professional and also what should I be thinking/asking once I have a short list of names in his nearest city?? Appreciate any pointers from anyone who has been through this and can offer any advice or even weblinks that were particularly good. (Alot of google hits I have followed so far are very US centric and all about how it depends on what your insurance will pay for)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now